Preventing vibration at the source.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Preventing vibration at the source.

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:37 am

Most vibration problems of the Model T originate in the engine. Various parts of Modern engines, ie, crankshaft, pistons, rods, caps, etc., are balanced for the maximum performance with a minimum of vibration. What can be done during the rebuilding phase of the Model T engine to balance the various parts to keep vibration at a minimum. Is there a Model T era equivalence of the modern harmonic balancer? Jim Patrick

Chad_Marcheese
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Marcheese
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Cut Off Touring / Pickup, 1923 Doodlebug / 1924 Speedster Gow Job
MTFCA Number: 26904
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Preventing vibration at the source.

Post by Chad_Marcheese » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:22 am

I think just balancing the parts alone are a big factor. Once you seem to balance the rods and pistons, and flywheel, that should cure alot of it. I am going to have my machine shop dynamically electronic balance my whole assembly with the crank (like they do for hi performance engines). My big block Chevy engine was balanced to within .09 of a gram of imbalance. And for 460 cubic inches (7.6 Liter), it is super smooth, probably more smooth than my 4.3Liter 2001 S10 engine. Not having a counterbalanced crank definitely hurts some, but certainly isn't the end of the world as I have seen stock crank engines pur like a kitten also.

I am pretty sure old Henry just slapped parts together off the assembly line, and close enough was good. This was a get people on the road, not a luxury car. A little shake rattle and roll was the norm, and the roads warranted a lower speed and RPM. I know if I run at about 20-25, my old tired engine runs rather well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic