Another High Gear Slipping Post

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
erkbrn
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 50994
Board Member Since: 2019

Another High Gear Slipping Post

Post by erkbrn » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:05 pm

Hello everyone,

My 15 touring has what seems to be a slipping problem in high gear, which has been there ever since I got it. The symptoms include a complete lack of power in high and a lurching motion that occurs when climbing even the slightest of hills (1% grade or less). High works alright on flat ground and just fine going down hill. Low gear works fine. I attempted to adjust the clutch fingers inwards to find they only had another 1/2 turn in them before hitting maximum. This half turn didn’t seem to help the problem much. From everything else I have read, this seems to be a textbook weak spring and/or bad clutch pack problem. My question is: is there anything else that could be causing this problem? I want to be sure before I pull the engine and start working on it.

I only have experience with one other T, and it did not have this problem ever.

Thanks

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Another High Gear Slipping Post

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:47 pm

Sounds like you have pretty well diagnosed it.

Please consider posting the results once you remedy your problem. All too often these sort of things pop up and the poster disappears after the initial quiery. Best of luck.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic