I hope this brew works!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Bill Everett
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Everett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1914 Touring, 1912 Roadster PickUp in process
MTFCA Number: 93
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2011

I hope this brew works!

Post by Bill Everett » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:50 pm

I just stirred the 50 / 50 mix of Acetone and ATF; I will check on the contents Monday or Tuesday to see if they're any easier to disassemble.
Attachments
Model T Penetrant, HomeMade!.jpg

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: I hope this brew works!

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:00 pm

Bill

by Monday/Tuesday, it's going to be 100% ATF.

While it probably feels good to soak it, no more will get in than if you were to occasionally squirt some on. And keep the solution TIGHTLY covered with little airspace in the container...a canning jar works well...

FWIW - the only reason the arms need to move is if the tierod bushings are tilted and the tierod binds. I find that in about 1/2 the cars I work on, but not all the cars I work on. You may be needlessly trying to remove the arms?
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:28 pm

My own experience with the 50-50 ATF/acetone mix, I could not see that it was any improvement over "Knock-R-loose" or "Liquid Wrench" if even as good. The acetone evaporates so rapidly it's problematic whether it has much effect. ATF doesn't seem to be very impressive as a penetrant. Perhaps a kerosene/ acetone mix would be better? I don't believe acetone is chemically reactive with rust, so what, exactly does it do, other than to reduce the viscosity of the ATF ?
"Get a horse !"

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:29 pm

Maybe Scott is being conservative about how fast the acetone will evaporate out of the mix. It may not take until Monday. The ATF will also sink to the bottom pretty quickly.

IMG_3363.JPG
I keep the mix in a capped squeeze bottle to retard the evaporation and so I can shake it up before I squirt it on. So much acetone has disappeared from this batch that I'll need to add more before I use any more of the mix.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:55 pm

The whole idea behind the Acetone/ATF mix is to have the Acetone dilute the ATF and wick into all the small places where a thicker penetrant will not go. Then have the Acetone evaporate leaving the ATF behind. Soaking will not do much to free up parts. Frequent application of the mix will do much more.

This mix will NOT affect rust to any great degree. It will lubricate in areas that no other oil will reach. Project Farm on YouTube did a comparison and Liquid Wrench actually won.

Jim Sims
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Sims
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 17 touring 20 roadster 21coupe 25tudor 25 pickup 27 coupe
MTFCI Number: 13377

Post by Jim Sims » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:45 pm

My theory about the acetone is that acetone is a material that is a airomatic { might be the wrong word] such as pb blaster or other penetrants that have minty fumes. this carries into the rust and caries the oil with it. The best penetrating oil is pure peppermint oil Try it some time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic