When Hope Calls

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510
Board Member Since: 1999

When Hope Calls

Post by Thorlick » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:07 pm

I just saw a promo for a Hallmark mush piece. The trailer has one car in it. Whose car was used on "When Hope Calls"?
When Hope Calls
When Hope Calls
hope.jpg (41.84 KiB) Viewed 4330 times
TH
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Re: When Hope Calls

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:17 pm

The parent show When Calls the Heart is filmed on MacInnes Farms in Langley, British Columbia, Canada.

I would assume the spin off is filmed near there.

The parent show is currently in the year 1915, even though there's Canadian Ford from the 1920s in it. The spin off I believe is supposed to be around that same time period.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:27 pm

Nice ford! "Mother in law, you're walking today. The top's down".
Are they both typical "Hallmark mush"?
Terry, that's the nicest way I've ever seen it typed out. :lol:
My wife will watch that channel a little from time to time. I stop in, just say "Hi, oh your watching hallmark.", wheel around and head back to the office or the shop.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Will_Vanderburg

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:01 am

I watch the parent show "When Calls the Heart" and have since it premiered 6 years ago.

My wife calls the dialogue "insipid". And it is. The dialogue is horrible.

The spin off will not be any better. It's about the struggles and plights of two young women who run an orphanage. The first show was about the struggles and plights of an out of water school teacher removed to poverty from rich society who falls for a mountie. The woman who plays the mayor, Lorie Loughlin, was removed from the last season because of her involvement in the college admissions scandal. (She bribed her kids' way into school, by saying they competed in sports they actually did not).
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Topic author
Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Thorlick » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:06 pm

Duane, we have two Hallmark channels and little else of any value. I do like to watch the "Wind At My Back" series occasionally because they have a large selection of period correct automobiles and trucks in every episode.

Warning: thread drift ensues. Those who object to thread drift can well... drift away now!

William, thanks for your interesting post. I often hear radio folks say that Ms. Laughlin's escapade was "a victimless crime". I am sure that the prospective students who failed to gain admission to those schools, and their families, would disagree. Ms. Laughlin was removed from other appearances on the network by discontinuing airing anything in which she appeared. This really hits all the others involved in those projects. Other actors do not get seen and do not get residuals. The crew of writers, makeup artist, costumers, camera operators, etc. on and on, do not get their work aired and loose professional opportunities as well as residuals and chances at professional recognition down line.

I wonder if any of the folks involved in the productions impacted would agree that there were no victims in this. You probably won't ever hear their thoughts as they just go and get on with their careers.

IMHO, TH
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:00 am

Duey_C wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:27 pm
Nice ford! "Mother in law, you're walking today. The top's down".
Are they both typical "Hallmark mush"?
Terry, that's the nicest way I've ever seen it typed out. :lol:
My wife will watch that channel a little from time to time. I stop in, just say "Hi, oh your watching hallmark.", wheel around and head back to the office or the shop.
I call it the "They've Taken My Baby" channel. It's so bad, even my wife won't watch it.

I did sit through part of one episode just to look at the T's, but I could only stomach it for a short time. I suspect there's a room somewhere where chimpanzees are writing for the Hallmark Channel and are writing pretty much all of the modern stuff they're calling country music.
1924 Touring

Will_Vanderburg

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:44 am

Terry,

what really hurts on When Calls the Heart is Ms. Loughlin's character adopted a little boy named "cody" Well, when she was removed, HE was removed also. Her character went on leave to care for her ailing mother, and instead of allowing the child character to stay with someone's household on the show, the made the character go with the Mayor.

Put that little kid out of work.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Will_Vanderburg

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:49 am

Don,

The Hallmark shows are all contrived: girl meets guy; girl hates guy, guy hates girl, but both seem to always find themselves in scenarios together; new guy comes in, tries to take girl, first guy gets pissed, steps his game up.

There's no cursing, killing, out of wedlock sex, but there is plenty of crime, ill will, ill thoughts, hatred, jealousy, covetousness.

And always a moral.

A really idyllic world, where 99 percent of the people are perfect, God-fearing Christian citizens.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:53 pm

I like this thread more every time I click it. :) True.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Will_Vanderburg

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:27 pm

OK we can start narrowing down the actual location of the When Hope Calls filming location to find out who own the car in the original poster's picture.

I did some digging, and after watching a teaser trailer showcasing the "sets", one of the actors mentions North Bay.

There is no North Bay in the Vancouver area or in British Columbia where the parent show "When Calls the Heart" filmed.

The production offices for the new show are listed as Powasson, ON, Canada. There is a North Bay there.

So the new show is filmed on the opposite side of the continent. I had assumed that the two shows, being related, would be filmed near one another. Such is not the case.

So, who owns cars in Ontario, near North Bay?
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic