More exhaust manifold joy

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

More exhaust manifold joy

Post by Ruxstel24 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:40 pm

I had used the paper gaskets when I swapped manifolds and a refresh last summer. (I had them) Go figure, the back port let go.
Got some copper rings and the gland rings from Snyder's and swapped them out the other day.
Had a little difficulty getting the center to fit, but thought I got it. Not so, the bottom of the center ports didn't go together and bent the rings. Took it apart today and the copper rings were reusable and I used two old steel rings on the center ports. Everything seemed to draw up evenly this time. Took a cool down break and have to connect exhaust pipe and will let you know.
I think the new steel rings fit so tight in my manifold, that they caught instead of slipping together. This manifold was a NOS and was straight...
Attachments
IMG_4334.JPG
IMG_4332.JPG

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Re: More exhaust manifold joy

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:28 pm

Paper gaskets allow straight manifolds to warp, as there are no gland rings to restrain the movement of the manifold when it's hot.

Topic author
Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:47 am

Jerry, I used the steel gland rings with the paper (asbestos) gaskets.

Installed the rings I tried to use the other day, got everything to line up, but the rear port ring must've been crushed too far for reuse.
A friend had a set of the 3-1 copper gaskets and I really didn't want to wait and order more rings, so far no leaking. And yes I used gland rings with them.

The first try, you could see the manifold was tighter at the top and actually hitting the cylinder head. Now it is flush.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:13 am

Nice early intake!

Topic author
Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:24 am

Turns out my manifold was warped slightly, enough where the rear ring was not lining up right.
Found another one with nice threads and straight !! :oops:
Everything went well until the third bolt broke off in the block... :evil:
It was not coming out with an EZ-out, drilling out proved to be a little bigger than I wanted, do to the drill shaking, I think.
Any how, Friday evening, trip in the am, and stuck. found a 10mm tap and it fit pretty good, soooo 10 mm it was for the trip.
Nobody around had a 3/8-24 Heli-coil at 7pm Friday. And nobody noticed the 15mm head amongst the 5/8" ones !! :D
Got a kit on E-Bay and rethreaded it yesterday, insert went in nice and all is well. New bolts, chased the other threads and no more "puff puff"

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:43 pm

Next time you have a broken off bolt consider the “weld out “ method. Find a old block and practice the technique. You will be glad to know how next time you need it. Quick and reliably easy!!

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:27 pm

Kim Dobbins taught me how to straighten a warped manifold with a rosebud and the weight of a box end wrench to turn it. Absolutely no pressure from me is required, as it will break the manifold. I've done two this way, and it works. Those 3-1 gaskets will ruin a good manifold, however if it is already warped, you don't have a choice.

Topic author
Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:40 pm

Larry, this one would be a great candidate...
Threads are nearly perfect, I actually thought it had not been installed before. I may give it a try sometime.

Les, I have done that before, even in aluminum modern heads with broken exhaust manifold bolts. Unfortunately my welder is out of commission for the time being.
My car has bolts instead of studs, I think this one bottomed out before it snapped and it was "in there like swimwear". I musta weakened the bolt trying to get the old one to seal. I had them tighter than it was when it snapped.

I looked at a dozen old manifolds and this may be the last one I have that's good.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:56 pm

Guys, I wish I could post photos from my phone, but I can no longer log in on it. I have a way to satisfactorily mount a warped manifold so that it does fit and stays fitted without leaking.

I lay a straight edge along the two centre ports. This will tell you how much the front and rear ports are warped down.

Then I cut SIX gland rings from solid exhaust pipe, no splits like the rings from parts dealers.

I place a pair of these rings on top of one another, off-setting the two by the amount of warpage at the port, and then Oxy weld them together on the inside. This gives me an off-set gland ring.

Repeat the above for the other port.

These rings can then be installed in the manifold and checked for alignment. Simply rotate the end off-set ones until they line up. By using exhaust pie for the glands, there is enough material to file/grind a taper on the block side of the rings, to aid in fitting.

I have used paper gaskets, as the material is isolated from gases by the gland ring. The copper rings may be better. I hold the gland rings and gaskets in place with a liberal smear of manifold sealer, apply the same sealer when mating the manifold to the block, and fit in the usual way.
While a new manifold may be easier to fit, this method allows me to use much better looking original manifolds.

May this save some otherwise doomed originals.
Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic