Timer question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Timer question

Post by Oldav8tor » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:06 pm

Today I tried to install and adjust my New Day timer. First off I'd like to know if what I've done looks right, then I have a little problem to discuss and a possible solution if you agree.

Following info I found on this forum, I did the following:
1.Identified Cyl # 1
2.Turned the crank until the crank pin was in the 3:30 / 9:30 Position - approx 15° past TDC
3.rotated the timer until coil # 1 began to buzz then backed it off just enough to stop it. Photo A shows the position of the timer at this point. Photo B shows the position of the brush in this position.
4.Bent the timer rod so that the fully retarded position of the lever corresponded with the timer position in step 3. Advancing the lever 4-5 clicks will start it buzzing again.
-----Does the timer appear to be in the proper position? I ask because if I advance the spark lever and rotate the timer the ear where the lever attaches to the timer touches the edge of the fan belt (my little problem.) I've concluded that either the timer in incorrectly positioned OR the fan belt needs to be shortened which will move the fan and the belt slightly to the car's left. The current belt measures 26 3/4 and experimenting with a tape measure makes me think that a 25 7/8 belt or shorter would give me the clearance I need. What do you think?
A.jpg
B.jpg
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Re: Timer question

Post by Dallas Landers » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:03 pm

Hello Tim, hope the ankle is healing well. I went out and looked at the TT and the RPU both New Day timers are straight up as yours fully retarded. Full advance stop just short of the fan belt. Real close but not touching. Use a piece of string to measure fan belt.

havnfun
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Kowalczyk
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 Speedster, 1913 Runabout, 1923 Roadster, 1912 Mother-in-law roadster
MTFCA Number: 49558
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by havnfun » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:11 pm

Tim,

I'm guessing since I cannot see the fan assembly and complete adjustment bracket, it looks like you have the wrong fan adjustment bracket.
Regards,
Joe Kowalczyk - 1923 Roadster, 1913 Runabout, 1918 Speedster, 1912 Mother-in-law roadster

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:39 pm

It might be that the belt is too long. A shorter belt would put the arm and top pulley farther away from the timer.
Norm

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:53 pm

Yes, the brush and timer cover appear to be in the proper position. I agree that a shorter belt would be OK. As long as the fan doesn't hit the crank ratchet, it could stand to be considerably lower.

IMG_2903 copy 2.JPG
You should avoid this. :)
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:01 am

This is an issue caused by incorrect belt length, the timer rod or using the wrong fan adjustment bracket. Usually one of the three I have found on my T’s anyway. It’s a trial and error fit up especially when installing a engine in the car.

Piewagon
First Name: John
Last Name: Regan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Open Runabout, 1911 Touring, 1912 Delivery Cars (2), 1915 Roadster, 1916 Roadster, 1923 Touring Car
MTFCA Number: 14725
MTFCI Number: 77
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Piewagon » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:11 pm

I agree that there is a lot of trial and error in getting everything to fit nice but first I think your initial timing is too far retarded and you may find it hard to start this car. I agree with wanting to be absolutely sure that the engine when hand cranked or even with starter aid should have the initial timing set at 15 degrees AFTER TDC but a setting of 9:00-3:00 on the crank shaft pin is TDC on the crank shaft position for each cylinder in turn as you crank the motor but 9:30-3:30 is 30 degrees past TDC in crank shaft degrees and further rotating the timer housing to NOT be buzzing when the crank is at 30 degree retard position will result in even more retard. You have to remember that crank shaft degrees is what you are setting the timing to. Also you need to make sure that all of the "SLOP" or "SLACK" in the timer linkage is accounted for when positioning the timer linkage and timer for a start of the motor. Moving the lever around you may find you will get different timer position when you retard the lever to a psoition or advance the lever to the same position. What I recommned is to first pull the timer lever ahead at least half way then slowly pull the lever back to the full retard position. This will position your timer in the proper position to set timing so as to be near TDC as close as possible that is still safe to hand crank. I set my cars up by setting the lever to full retard slowly as I mentioned. I then turn on ignition and pull the hand crank forward VERY VERY slowly until the coil just starts to buzz. I then look at the pin position. So long as the pin is very slightly lower on the right side than horizontal I know that the timing is past TDC and 3:15 O'clock is where it want it to be. I then pull it ahead without changing anything on the timer lever and make sure all 4 cylinder fire at that same 3:15 OK position. It is worth the extra time to get the timing right on and also worth the extra time to get your carb float lever set perfect. I have that on my most recent car and the thing almost always gives me a free start by just turning on the coil box power.

A tip also on NEW DAY timers. Mount ALL of the wiring behind the NEW DAY 4 tabs. Use binder head brass machine screws and put the timer wire flag terminals, lockwashers and wire dressing all on the backside. This helps keep the wiring out of the fan belt. Also if this is a driver then the new rubber fan belts are a full 1/8 inch narrower but will center in the pulleys if they have the proper crown in the center and the bracket or its mounting bolt is not bent up or down. Make sure the belt runs in the center of your motor and fan pulley and with wires routed behind the front the new day timer all parts have enough room. I wonder where on the timer rod did you bend it since on early cars it is very important that the bend to advance or retard the timing should occur only in the ARC portion above the timer at the timer end. The arc of the bend should stay in the same plane. Bending it someplace else results in more and more bending. Increase the arc to retard the spark and reduce the arc to advance it but don't bend it someplace else if its a new rod.

Good luck.

Topic author
Oldav8tor

Post by Oldav8tor » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:15 pm

360 ÷ 12 = 30, so 30° past TDC would occur at 4 /10 on the "clock" - - 3:30 / 9:30 would be 15° BTDC by my estimation. I'm a newbie at this so I may be missing something. As I mentioned earlier, I used methods I found on this site, primarily the "Dauntless geezer's". I'm a little excited that I may soon see my T come alive. I've tried to do everything right but I know more surprises await.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ

TWrenn
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:01 pm

Tim..
Its hard to tell in pic "A" but to me it looks like your timer rod will be above your radiator inlet pipe when you install the radiator. It.should be UNDER the pipe, and positioned so it also does not rub on the lower rubber hose either.
The other Tim :D

Topic author
Oldav8tor

Post by Oldav8tor » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:16 pm

Tim - I'll find out tomorrow :roll: So far this project has gone from discovery to discovery (problem to problem.) If I ever do something like this again I'll be better prepared.

Update - I just hobbled out to the shop & put the sleeve and tube on the outlet elbow. The control rod passes under the tube and appears to clear throughout it's range - we'll see what it looks like with the radiator installed. Fingers crossed :D

The other, other Tim
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:05 am

On an initial set up with a new timer, I park the timer pull at 5 o'clock on our RHD cars. For your up side down timers that would be 11 0'clock. The adjustment to the linkage rod is then made with the lever set against the stop on the quadrant. This works for all types of timers other than one of the new Andersons. I can't remember if thit needed to be closer to 6 o'clock or 4 o'clock.

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic