Need help with front end alignment

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
rnwilliams
First Name: Ricky
Last Name: Williams
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 12 Com. Rdstr, 12 Delivery, 2-12 Tou, 15 Tou, 21 Cpe, 25 Cpe 25 TT, 26 TT, 27TT, 26 PU, 26 Tou, 2-26 4dr, 26 Del, 27 4dr
MTFCA Number: 28991
MTFCI Number: 23852

Need help with front end alignment

Post by rnwilliams » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:17 pm

I have a 1927 Fordor that I just got back on the road after forty years. I know there are some good front end alignment guys out there. I need help please. The drive train has been completely rebuilt. Newly built ruckstell rear axle, drive shaft and front axle. Steering column has also had a new bushing and pitman arm. I put wire wheels and hubs, and I am running New Firestone 21" tires.
I installed new spindle bolts and bushings in the front axle, new spring shackles and bushings. Little to no play between the steering wheel and front wheels.

When I first got the car on the road my front axle spindle bolts were a little tight and it was running all over the road. I re-did the spindle bolts and bushings so they are now correct and move freely. The car drives much better but still runs around on the road. Mostly on uneven pavement.

Here is what I have.

The toe was set at 1/4" and I tried 3/8 without much difference.

The caster on the passenger side is 3/8 at the spindle and drivers side is 7/16. Is this enough to make it runaround on the road?

The Camber is off most of all. Instead of 2" I have 1". That is 1/2" camber on both sides. Would this make it runaround on the road? If so how do I adjust the camber? Bend the axle? Where? or do I do something with the spindles?

Thanks for your help,
Richard Williams, Humboldt, TN
President, Tennessee T's inc.

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Re: Need help with front end alignment

Post by Dan Hatch » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:25 pm

What is the condition of the top and bottom holes in the Axle? Are the threads in the bottom hole good? Dan

Topic author
rnwilliams
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 12 Com. Rdstr, 12 Delivery, 2-12 Tou, 15 Tou, 21 Cpe, 25 Cpe 25 TT, 26 TT, 27TT, 26 PU, 26 Tou, 2-26 4dr, 26 Del, 27 4dr

Post by rnwilliams » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:40 pm

Hey Dan, The thread on both sides are really good. One of the top holes had a very slight amount of play.

Chris Barker
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Barker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe

Post by Chris Barker » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:56 pm

May I ask the obvious?
Is the axle tilted backwards as is should be?

Topic author
rnwilliams

Post by rnwilliams » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:05 pm

I am certainly not beyond doing something really stupid but in this case yes the axle is tilted back. Thanks

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:39 pm

Make sure you keep the spindles on the correct side when you turn the axle around. Passenger side is reverse thread. ;)
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
rnwilliams

Post by rnwilliams » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:17 pm

Don't need to turn the axle around. It is tilted back as should be.

Bill Dizer
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dizer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 coupe, 1927 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 28610
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Bill Dizer » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:20 pm

It sounds like too much toe-in, and maybe not enough caster. Camber will make it pull steady to the side with the most positive camber. Caster is like the forks of a bicycle, and is what tries to return the wheels to center, after a turn, and too little caster can cause wander. Toe in is set so that under driving conditions the tires will be running very close to parallel. Too much toe in makes the tires "hunt" where first one is going straight, and dragging the other a bit sideways, then the other grabs, and makes the car dart toward it. It is usually more noticeable when, as in your case, the front end and steering is tight, with little play in it. Another thing to be sure of is that the steering is not binding anywhere, like at the pitman ball. Also be sure the front and rear spring shackles are free because if one is binding, it can force the axle sideways and result in weird steering. Make sure the tires are running true as possible. If the tires are not completely true, you need to jack up the tire, and using something to hold a pen, chalk, or whatever very still, spin the tire and mark all the way around it so that you are measuring the toe in correctly. Measure from the line on each tire across the back and front and compare. Measure as high on the tire to the front and rear center of the tire, as long as the tape is still straight. Easy in the front, maybe tougher with the steering and wishbone in the rear.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:55 pm

It could be so many things it is hard to know where to begin. Replacing kingpins and bushings is only a start on a front end inspection and rebuild.

ball socket in pan
bal sockets on draglink and tie rod
tie rod pins
steering arms (tie rod bushings)
steering arm parallelism
steering arm loose in stubshaft (1 or 2x)
pitman arm loose on steering shaft
steering shaft wear
steering shaft bushing(s)
pinion wear, steering box
pinion axles wear, steering box
steering drive pinion wear
steering drive pinion/steering shaft wear
caster
camber
(will assume toe-in is correct)
wheel bearings, damaged
wheel bearings, loose