Langs

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Don ellis
First Name: Don
Last Name: Ellis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911,1917,23,27
MTFCA Number: 17946
MTFCI Number: 15366

Langs

Post by Don ellis » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:27 pm

Langs has come a long ways sense 1983!
Attachments
EA717537-2C8F-4319-9EF2-164E30B7F70E.jpeg

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Re: Langs

Post by MKossor » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:51 pm

Indeed. They are my first call whenever I need parts. Steve Lang is very knowledgeable and helpful whenever I have questions.
Thank You Langs!
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

Jugster
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Coiro
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
Board Member Since: 2009

Post by Jugster » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:47 pm

There are several excellent suppliers of Model T parts who deserve our business. It happens that I tend to call Lang's.

Back when I ordered a top-boot from them, it didn't fit and I forced it, ripping the seams. When I phoned Lang's to get another one, they had me measure out my top and it turned out to be oversized, so they had a boot custom-made to my unusual size and took the one I had damaged in exchange. No charge. Not even for shipping. Lang's ate the expense of replacing the top-boot I had damaged through my own fault. You can't beat that kind of customer service. I figure I owe them, so I'll always call them first.

Another nice thing about Lang's is that they use their buying power to make sure that when their customers order tires, they get FRESH tires, not old, dried out stock that's been laying around. They do this by "drop-shipping" directly from the manufacturer. When I open the plastic wrapper, the tires I ordered absolutely stink of fresh, new rubber. They're soft and pliable and easy to mount—and they don't crack.

Then there's their tech support. When I have a perplexing question, either Steve or Don will have the answer and they're generous with their time to make sure I understand their explanation.

No doubt, there are other suppliers who are just as good, but for the above reasons, when I need a part, I always call Don Lang and Family.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:44 am

Yes, we're lucky to have several good dealers in Model T parts, and I spread my meager purchases around among them, but Lang's is the best. A class operation all around.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:20 pm

I live within 50 miles of a T parts supplier, but I prefer to do business with Langs. I consider them to be friends, as well as a parts supplier, and the fact that it is a family run business is important too. I can remember many years ago, when Don and Pat had a few Model T items for sale on card tables in the blue field at Hershey. That certainly goes back a few years!

Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Post by Mark Osterman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:36 pm

I have been on vacation visiting family in Mass. I took a side trip to Lang’s on Friday and was given wonderful treatment, allowed in the used parts basement and the NOS section. Among with my laundry list of modern parts I bought a complete set of NOS shackles and an NOS exhaust manifold for the same price as the reproductions. Like going to Hershey but without all the non T stuff. Had a great time.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:53 pm

I used to like Hank's Vintage Ford Parts, Quincy, Cornelius Bergbower, Bluford, Quality Products Co. Elmhurst, all in Illinois, George Matera "T Parts, by George" in PA, Sheldon Greenland in CA. "Stitts" and Bill Fessler had great upholstery supplies. The newer guys do great and I often have a hard time deciding which one to but from. I hope they all do well and stay in business. It can't be easy but we need them.
Rich
When did I do that?

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:37 pm

Lang's gets the bulk of my business, but I also try to spread what little that I spend around to other suppliers as well.

26TRoadster
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Lloid
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Roadster/ 26 RPU/ 26 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by 26TRoadster » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:12 pm

I buy from Lands and their service is #1.

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:27 am

Rich, you sure did bring back some memories. I remember a lot of those guys advertising in Hemming's back in the mid '60's. I was in my early teen's back then and couldn't afford much, but me and my best friend for 53 years sure spent a lot of time reading and dreaming of things back then. :) Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:43 am

I still have a pair of TT hubcaps that I bought in 1964 from an add in Hemming's that were "NOS", and when I got them, the nickel plating was very ruff, even though they were brass. I was very disappointed. That being said, I kept them and in the mid '90's, I had them replated in nickel at a shop in Omaha NE., and they came out beautiful. I still have them and will still have them when I'm gone. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Rich Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:12 am

Those days were very special Dave. I too mainly dreamed about the parts I could buy and the car I could build. A whole world of possibilities were out there and the photos and illustrations in those adds added a lot of fuel to the fire. The hobby is still wonderful all these years later but that early magic was incredibly delightful.
Rich
When did I do that?

RustyFords
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:21 pm

I've had nothing but positive experiences with Langs, on the phone, internet and in person at Chickasha. They're the best.

I remember fondly, the pre-internet days of the old car hobby. The big swap meets like Pate, Chickasha, etc had a much more weighty, important feel than swap meets do today. Everything was channeled through Hemmings, Cars and Parts magazine, writing actual letters to vendors and guys with parts stashes and getting back typwritten lists of parts with prices....it was so thrilling to get things like that in the mail. It all happened at a real snail's pace, so the swap meets were like seeing Elvis live in concert. All of these guys you'd corresponded with and all the vendors were RIGHT THERE with their items on tables or in their booths. To me, it was about as good as it got. I'd go to Pate when it was out the country and walk half of it the first day, sleep in the bed of my truck in the parking lot across the highway, then walk the second half the next day.
1924 Touring

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:27 pm

I weep for the old Pate. It was wonderful, one of my favorite meets. In my book the move from the old museum to TMS ruined it even before changing times and the internet took their toll. Like listening to real radio live or driving old Federal Highway 1 down the Baja peninsula, it lives on in cherished memory as an experience that can never be had again.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:36 pm

It was a little like sending 25¢ and two box tops to Battle Creek Michigan wasn't it? How many remember? The anticipation and checking the mail each day or waiting for the mailman was almost torture. Why did we have to grow up?
OK, some of us didn't.
Rich
When did I do that?

RustyFords
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:57 pm

Rich Eagle wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:36 pm
It was a little like sending 25¢ and two box tops to Battle Creek Michigan wasn't it? How many remember? The anticipation and checking the mail each day or waiting for the mailman was almost torture. Why did we have to grow up?
OK, some of us didn't.
Rich
I maintain one small little vestige of the former hobby by running the 54 Ford Club of America and mailing out more than 400 paper newsletters every quarter, complete with classified ads, news from around the club, photos of member's cars, etc.

I inherited the club from the founder 5 years ago and promised him that I would maintain the paper newsletter for the old-timers who wanted it. Much to my surprise, even the new members who are below the age of 50 like getting the paper letter in the mail.
1924 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic