Parts paid for via PayPal

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
aDave
First Name: David
Last Name: Dufault
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915
MTFCA Number: 303
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Parts paid for via PayPal

Post by aDave » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:35 pm

I have bought or sold Model T parts and the payment has been exchanged by a friendly transaction via PayPal.

That organization has made an amendment to their Policy Agreement, and it leaves a little confusion in my mind.To avoid a disappointment in the future, have one of your a DEFINITE answer to : "DOES THIS AMENDMENT APPLY TO MONEY BEING SENT TO A FRIEND?"

Now I do realize that this amendment applies primarily to currency conversion, but the phrase: "OR SEND MONEY" makes me think that we will no longer be able to send money without a fee to our friends. Do you know?

Amendment:
"Amendments to the PayPal Account User Agreement and the PayPal Cash and PayPal Cash Plus Terms & Conditions

We are changing the PayPal currency conversion spread to 3.75% for transactions that involve a PayPal currency conversion when you pay for goods or services or send money."
Attachments
thinking2.gif
thinking2.gif (11.48 KiB) Viewed 4140 times

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Parts paid for via PayPal

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:39 pm

You are not to send or receive money for goods using friends and family. I would guess by the word "conversion" that it would involve any transactions that are not in US $'s.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
aDave

Post by aDave » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:44 pm

Thank you

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:57 pm

You might just inquire to PayPal regarding your question.

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:36 pm

For what it's worth, PayPal charges fees whenever you use a credit card. If you pay for your parts through PayPal with a check instead of a credit card there are NO fees added. The credit card company charges PayPal for the transaction whereas a checking account does not.

How or IF this applies to currency conversions, I can not say. But with this information, you can do more research.

As for proof, I just bought parts last night through PayPal with a check and there were no fees added or deducted from the transaction. So, when we are paying a "person", we use the checking account. When we are paying a selling entity, we use the credit card. More protection with the card. More trust with the check.

Good Luck,
Terry

Topic author
aDave

Post by aDave » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:55 pm

Thanks, Terry.

I am wondering what will happen when the amendment takes effect on September 3:

"We are updating certain PayPal agreements that apply to U.S. customers. These changes will go into effect on September 3, 2019."

Yes..what you did worked without a fee... will it on or after 9/4...maybe.

Yes, goods or services should not be "paid" for via friends and family , but how about sending a relative a Birthday check via PayPal..that really is the question I have....is ANY transfer of funds an event that warrants a fee? the amendment : "OR SEND MONEY" seems to imply that it does.
Christmas is several months away (if we last that long)...I will be watching what is written in the days and weeks after September 3, to see what folks have experienced.

Change seems to be inevitable in many areas!

Cheers...

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:03 pm

Now you know why I don't use Pay Pal (an oxymoron if there ever was one). I don't buy from any business that charges a fee for using a credit card. The ole checkbook still works.

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George Mills » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:11 pm

I don’t know...but will mention an alternative.

I do things through my kids sometimes and they go “ewwwwww” at the thought of pay-pal.

As I have learned, Gen Y and Millennials can only tolerate anything internet based for a shelf life on maybe 3-4 years...my sons fitting that same “handle”

Any way...when cash now comes my way from either of them they insist on using Venmo....hehe...or they become notorious slow pay. I actually read the fine print on Venmo, they are owned by Pay-Pal...go figure.

Bill Dizer
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dizer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 coupe, 1927 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 28610
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Bill Dizer » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:28 pm

You need to see if your credit/debit card life just changed. When using my debit only card, which is direct from my checking account, and not protected by a credit card agreement, not a credit card, at my local Walmart, the card machine quit asking me to enter my PIN number. I asked why, and the Walmart people said it was on sales less than $50.00, it was no longer required! I then asked if they were going to be responsible if someone stole my card and used it repeatedly for purchases of under $50.00 at their store. Answer of course was no! So I called my bank to see about it, and they replied that the credit card companies had gotten together and changed the rules! Again, I asked about who was responsible if my card was used without my knowledge, and she said I had to check my account daily and let them know if there was unauthorized use, and they would "investigate" it and "possibly" return my money! I used my Amex card at the Walmart and it too didn't ask for any ID! So, the credit card industry has taken away our right to protect our accounts with PIN numbers, and opened us up to fraud in the amount of $50.00 or less per transaction!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic