RHD Engine Questions

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jeepbone1
First Name: Brad
Last Name: Kirtner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring Car, 1927 Closed Cab TT, 1927 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50618
Board Member Since: 2018

RHD Engine Questions

Post by Jeepbone1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Can someone who has built up a RHD engine give me a call/text or email please? I have a few questions.

Brad
540761230three
Bkirtner@gmail.com

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Re: RHD Engine Questions

Post by Kerry » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:44 pm

Brad, as for your post in saying the engine, there is no difference from LHD/RHD. just the transmission hogs head and the throttle shaft in the carby.

John E. Guitar
First Name: John
Last Name: Guitar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1924 Tourer
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by John E. Guitar » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:45 pm

Can you post your questions on the forum?

I've got an engine sitting on a stand I can take photos of if that would help.

ModelT46
First Name: Darel
Last Name: Leipold
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring
MTFCA Number: 823
MTFCI Number: 953
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by ModelT46 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:23 pm

65 years ago I turned a 1909 roadster into a right hand drive. I changed a steering column into a right hand , used a right hand timer, a right hand trans cover, changed the lever to a right hand and other small items. Not much trouble at all. The car went to California. I wondered where it is now.

nsbrassnut
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Lee

Post by nsbrassnut » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:43 pm

Hi All

Well I just had to chime in on this one having recently got a Canadian RHD car back on the road.

Yes you can modify part for the conversion, but the list of parts that are different does add up. For example here is a list of most of the parts that are specific to the RHD cars that you need to remember.

Some of the differences between LHD and RHD Model T Fords.

- Carburetor throttle lever (90 degree different movement) and so a different arm on the carburetor
- Spark and throttle rods (throttle is on the right, throttle on the left) and their connecting levers (the throttle and spark linkage ones) are also RHD specific
- Timer, actuator rod connects at the bottom of the timer, oiler at the top (regular one turned upside down will work)
- Timer and throttle control rods require one swivel per rod to get the movement to work correctly. With the swivel its a simple linkage, without gets awkward.
- Steering drag link from the steering arm to the tie rod (twist is 90 degrees in the other direction)
- Steering bracket at the frame mount, RHD specific
- Tie rod, the ball is on the left side not the right but the ends are still the same way up and not easily changed from LHD ones
- Emergency brake lever and emergency brake cross shaft
- Some of the differences between LHD and RHD Model T Fords.

- Carburetor throttle lever (90 degree different movement) and so a different arm on the carburetor
- Spark and throttle rods (throttle is on the right, throttle on the left) and their connecting levers (the throttle and spark linkage ones) are also RHD specific
- Timer, actuator rod connects at the bottom of the time, oiler at the top (regular one turned upside down will work)
- Timer and throttle control rods require one swivel per rod to get the movement to work correctly. With the swivel its a simple linkage, without gets awkward.
- Steering drag link from the steering arm to the tie rod (twist is 90 degrees in the other direction)
- Steering bracket at the frame mount, RHD specific
- Tie rod, the ball is on the left side not the right but the ends are still the same way up and not easily changed from LHD ones
- Emergency brake lever and emergency brake cross shaft
- Emergency brake ratchet quadrant for frame
- Tail light bracket (oil lights with license plate mount) the license plate arm is on the left because the bracket mounts on the right side of the body

There is actually a fair number of differences between the two models and you will need to collect several additional bits if you want to assemble a good working RHD T.

Have fun with the project.

Jeff
Nova Scotia Canada

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:33 pm

Jeff's list is about as comprehensive as you can get. While the two rods connecting the carburetor and timer work well with a swivel joint, they were not always used. Most of our Canadian sourced cars during the 20's just had the ends of the rods bent and pinned.
Getting the exhaust pipe around the pedals, and past the foot starter switch will also be a challenge. It requires quite some different bends over a LHD unit.
Allan from down under.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:44 pm

If the pedal shafts need to be replaced, they are different also
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic