trans adjustment

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Art Ebeling
First Name: Art
Last Name: Ebeling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 touring 14 runabout
MTFCA Number: 50718

trans adjustment

Post by Art Ebeling » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:00 am

How can the transmission bands be adjusted on a chassis without a body on it? All the posts I have read use the floorboard as a reference for adjusting the bands. I am trying to make sure I have a good running chassis before putting the body on. Also, I have both rear wheels raised and no linkage connected between the brake lever and the transmission so I would think the transmission would be in high but I can turn one or both rear wheels and it does not turn the engine, but if I crank the engine both rear wheels spin. Is that correct? Art

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: trans adjustment

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:36 am

To adjust pedals without a floor just be sure they have several inches of free play before they squeeze the drums. You can fine tune the adjustment when you have a floor. Does "no linkage" mean no connection with just the brake rods, or is there no connection between the clutch lever and the pedal? Either way, with the lever forward all the way you should be in high gear. That means that turning the engine will turn the wheels. They may or may not turn in the same direction. Turning one wheel in high gear will turn the other wheel in the opposite direction.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Art Ebeling

Post by Art Ebeling » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:52 am

Thanks Steve. I meant no connection, no linkage and no brake rods. I would have thought turning a rear wheel would also turn the engine. I'm sure there is something basic I am just not understanding. Art

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:46 am

Turning both rear wheels, as when you tow or push start the vehicle, will turn the engine. With the rear jacked up off the floor, the thing that moves easiest will turn. That's the other wheel, in the opposite direction.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:06 am

You will need to be able to put the transmission in neutral. Either with the parking brake lever or with the clutch lever. With the wheels on the ground, turn the crank. The car should not move forward or backward. Then push the car and the engine should not turn. If so, you have a good neutral. If it either moves the car when you turn the crank, or the engine turns when you push the car, you need to adjust either the clutch or the bands.

You will have to make final adjustments after the body is installed to be sure your pedals bottom out before you hit the floorboard.

All these things assume that the cams in the hogshead are in good condition. If they are worn, you might find that you will have to adjust the bands too tight for them to stop the drums before the pedals hit the floorboard. In that case you will need to replace the cams or cause rapid band wear and possibility of cracked drums.

Norm

Topic author
Art Ebeling

Post by Art Ebeling » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:50 am

Got it. Thanks

Altair
First Name: David
Last Name: Menzies
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring and 1915 Touring both Canadian models
MTFCA Number: 27825
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Altair » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:32 pm

This isn't rocket science, with the drive assembly straight through, eg high gear, the clutch fingers should be just clear of the push ring. You should be able to wiggle the fingers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic