For Those Who Make Their Own Penetrant...

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Bill Everett
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Everett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1914 Touring, 1912 Roadster PickUp in process
MTFCA Number: 93
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2011

For Those Who Make Their Own Penetrant...

Post by Bill Everett » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:37 pm

Acetone and ATF, yes, I think I've read that on the forum before.

However, I don't remember the mix.

Is it 50 / 50, or something else?

rickg
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Goelz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Fordor, 1926 Coupe, 1923 popcorn Truck
MTFCA Number: 24965

Re: For Those Who Make Their Own Penetrant...

Post by rickg » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:40 pm

Bill, 50/50 is correct.

Rick

Topic author
Bill Everett
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Everett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1914 Touring, 1912 Roadster PickUp in process
MTFCA Number: 93
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Bill Everett » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:43 pm

Thank you, Richard.

BE_ZERO_BE
First Name: BOB
Last Name: CASCISA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 TOURING
MTFCA Number: 16897
MTFCI Number: 16628

Post by BE_ZERO_BE » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:13 pm

Actually it's half and half. :lol:
Respectfully Submitted,
Be_Zero_Be

I drive a Model T ... Microseconds don't matter :D

For every Absolute Model T Fact there are at least three exceptions.

Tim Moore
First Name: TIMOTHY
Last Name: MOORE
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: As many as can fit in the buildings, need to add on again.

Post by Tim Moore » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:44 pm

A short story; last fall I was rear ended in my Blazer at a stop sign after just getting rear ended in my Chevy Silverado at a stop sign by 2 separate idiots on cell phones. I put a hitch in both vehicles so the next one would take out their radiator. The Blazer got the good hitch with the 4" drop (upside down) and I had to knock it in with a maul but thought I would just knock it out in the spring. About a month ago I wanted to remove the hitch from the Blazer and took out the pin and got on the back side with square tube and pounded it with no movement. I put a strap on it and tension from the truck and beat on it again with nothing. Sprayed the heck out of it with PB blaster and continued with no movement.

Last week I sold the Blazer and the truck and bought a newer Silverado. I wanted the hitch off the Blazer and was ready for a project with heat, pulling and pounding. I pulled the pin...grabbed the ball and wiggled it up and down and pulled it out by hand. That PB blaster soaked in over a few weeks and I was just amazed. I beat that thing in with a maul and removed it by hand!.

Tim Moore

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Flat Head Ford & PB Blaster. Acetone exposure.

Post by Novice » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:19 am

PB Blaster work's. I had a 1953 ford F250 with the flat head V8 that had not been run in 35 years. pulled the plugs and flooded the cylinders with PB Blaster let sit a week and the engine turned over both water pumps were frozen but engine turned over dragging the belts. works much better than it smells. My be Preaching to the choir. But Acetone is a hazardous chemical and exposure to it is accumulated in the body over time till it reaches a critical level use protective gloves and avoid breathing the fumes. When I worked for the Texaco lab We used a lot of it but had to be careful with exposure.

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:08 am

A very interesting and unbiased comparison on YouTube by Project Farm compares most of the popular penetrating oils. It is well worth the time spent to see exactly how well your preferred oil really works. Spoiler alert: Liquid Wrench wins by a nose.

I'm going to try the peppermint oil and see how it works.

Good Luck,
Terry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic