Top Boot

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Steve Rinaldo
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Rinaldo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 runabout
Board Member Since: 2010

Top Boot

Post by Steve Rinaldo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:06 pm

I have a 1911 roadster and a while back my top boot blew out of the back and we never found it. The guy that made to boot is no longer in business, so I cant go back to him. The parts suppliers all have boots for 1913 plus roadsters and touring. Does any know if any of the will work on my car or know someone who may have a pattern or one laying around.
Thanks, Steve

Fire_chief
First Name: Charlie
Last Name: Gagel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 12 Tourings(2),14 Tourings(2),15 Touring,22Touring,22 TT,21 Fire Truck,14 Chief Car
MTFCA Number: 8377
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 22437

Re: Top Boot

Post by Fire_chief » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:33 pm

Try Mike from Classtique.
He makes a great, and accurate top boot.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:56 pm

Top boots have always interested me a lot. Why? Because no one makes them correctly! Several years ago I bought a pile of side curtains, and there were two NOS 16-22 boots in the pile. Shortly there after I purchased an original '13 roadster with the correct boot, and since then I acquired a mint original '13-14 touring boot. After much studying I have determined there were two different manufacturers of boots during the 13-14 period. I have made about four since then for the different cars I own, using the correct methods that Ford used. This is only a guess, but I'll bet one of the boots I have could be modified somewhat to fit your application, and still look authentic. We are also lucky, in that now we have a very close material to the original Ford grain available, called Turf Grain.

Topic author
Steve Rinaldo
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Rinaldo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 runabout
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Steve Rinaldo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:53 pm

I talked to Mike at Classtique and he said he would make one out of cloth for about $250. I am going to take some photos and measurements and get it done.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:11 am

Most new top boots I've seen have no welt top or bottom. If you will kindly post a picture of what Mike makes for you, I'd like to see it. You may wish to supply Mike with the correct fasteners too, as the modern ones just don't look the same.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic