Ts in London England and Ireland

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
thom
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Coffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Touring

Ts in London England and Ireland

Post by thom » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:21 pm

We, my wife and I, will probably be making a trip to London and to Ireland in the future. What should a Model T nut plan to see and do there? :?:

tgiro
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: Amara
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring

Re: Ts in London England and Ireland

Post by tgiro » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:41 pm

Thom, I made many trips to London during my airline career and never saw a Model T in London, though I did see many interesting vintage cars and motorcycles there. You should contact the UK MTFCA Chapter listed on the Chapters page of the website and let them know you're coming. I always meant to do that, but my layovers were too short to stray far from the city. I'm sure they would welcome you to any events taking place during your stay. Cheers, Joe

tgiro
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: Amara
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring

Post by tgiro » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:58 pm

Thom, Although not strictly Model T related, here are some very interesting things to see:
- Churchill's War Rooms in London
- Imperial War Museum in London
- Covent Garden (London)
- The British Museum (London)
- The Railroad Museum in York, Fabulous
- The Aviation Museum at RAF Hendon
I never made it to the Ace Café, but they have car and motorcycle events throughout the week. Check their website to see their events calendar.
Cheers,
Joe

rosenkranswa
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Rosenkrans
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touriing
MTFCI Number: 22021

Post by rosenkranswa » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:41 am

I'd add the Imperial War Museum Aircraft collection and land warfare museums at Duxford outside Cambridge, plus the King's pub in Cambridge where they preserved the names of allied aircrew written on the ceiling and where Watson and Crick announced the structure of DNA.

The National Automotive Museum in Beaulieu is pretty neat, and a beautiful drive south of London. Stop for high tea at Abbinger Hammer to view their famous clock and spend the night at the Burford Bridge hotel near Dorking where Nelson used to meet his mistress and there are some exposed beam reportedly from his flagship.

AndreFordT
First Name: Andre
Last Name: Valkenaers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 ; 1922 ; 1915.
MTFCA Number: 23792
MTFCI Number: 19330

Post by AndreFordT » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:55 am

You need to visit the Tuckett Brothers and talk with Niel.

Andre
Belgium

rbishop26
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Bishop
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring, 1917 touring
MTFCA Number: 502
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by rbishop26 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:41 pm

Tommy,
We were in Ireland last year and were surprised at how many Model T Ford related adventures there were. We made arrangements before arriving for some rides and meet ups. You might want to contact the Irish Model T Ford Club (we are now proud members!) at irish.modelt@gmail.com, or look up the Irish Model T Ford Club, to see what's going on where. If you go in spring/summer, you might hook up with some Model T tours of the extremely gorgeous Irish countryside!
We found the most related events and cars in Cork (port of Cobh). There is a Henry Ford park outside of Cork, a full sized stainless steel Model T touring sculpture in Ballinascarthy (Co. Cork, Ireland)(look on Google-Kevin Holland Sculpture), and the Ford Factory in the Marina in Cork where the world's last ever production Model T was built (Dec 1928)
Ballinascarthy is where Henry Ford's father grew up, before moving to the US.
Hope you have fun. We are going back in a couple of weeks and expect to revisit many of the above.
Bob Bishop
San Diego, CA
1914 touring, 1917 touring

Jem
First Name: Jem
Last Name: Bowkett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring #9267
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Jem » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:10 am

Visiting London is not 'doing' England, anymore than me visiting New York would be 'doing' the US. For car action you need to get out of London - the city is so tangled with Low Emission Zones and Congestion Charges that I don't know anyone who drives an old car in London. If you decide to pick up a rental car, I suggest taking public transport to a pickup outside the city.

Make contact with the Model T Register through http://www.modeltregister.co.uk/ or Facebook https://m.facebook.com/MTFRGB/?__tn__=C-R and find out if there any tours going when you're there.

Day excursions around London: RAF museum at Hendon has been mentioned, as has the Ace Cafe. Brooklands Museum is great, the home of British aviation & Motor Racing since 1907 - Dave, who runs the Register Facebook page, lives nearby and might meet up with you.

If you go to the Beaulieu Motor Museum, check whether busy T restorer Rich Skinner has time to show you round his shop nearby - http://www.tudorwheels.co.uk/

If you drive out to visit Neil Tuckett, stay overnight in Wilmslow (3 miles away) - Just So Cottage is a lovely 17th century B&B run by the lovely Anna (who does NOT date to the 17thC) and the Bell Hotel does award-winning pies. From Wilmslow you can get to Bletchley Park (where the Nazi Enigma machine was decoded), Claydon House https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/claydon-house, Waddesdon Manor https://waddesdon.org.uk/ and Buckingham Railway Centre https://www.bucksrailcentre.org.

Take the train out of London to Cambridge, hotels in every price range, fabulous museums. Rent a car and go to Duxford where you can see all sorts of warbirds and, if budget allows, pre-book a sightseeing flight in a pre-war Dragon Rapide airliner over Cambridge or London. If you have a spare 2 grand+, you can go up in a 2 seater Spitfire.

From Cambridge you can head up to Lincoln, see Magna Carta in the Castle, see the Cathedral and check out the Jews House Bookshop - one of the volunteers has over 370 books on the American Civil War and loves to bamboozle US visitors with facts! Not far from Lincoln is the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Centre where you can see Lancaster, Spitfire, Hurricane , C47 and more which all fly displays throughout the summer. Also nearby is East Kirkby, a preserved WWII bomber airfield where you can see a Lancaster, Mosquito & C47. https://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/

If you decide to go Edinburgh, take the train - the views travelling along the Northumberland coast are superb. Make contact with Mike Povey through the T Register, he can point you at any local old car stuff - who knows, he might even get you in to see the ex-Don Hess #2 T which lives up there.

Remind me - how many months are you planning to be here? :)

Jem

Post by Jem » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:14 am

Oh, I forgot to mention you can see a Hucks Starter at Duxford and also at the Shuttleworth Collection https://www.shuttleworth.org/

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068

Post by SurfCityGene » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:05 pm

Tommy, Right across the street from the S/S Model T that Bob mentioned is the Ford Bar. When I was there it was raining pretty hard of course but I still was able to sit in the Touring and get a couple of pictures.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Jem

Post by Jem » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:17 pm

Typo. The town near Neil Tuckett is Winslow, not Wilmslow.

joe.wal
First Name: Joerg
Last Name: Walther
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31419
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by joe.wal » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:11 am

I recommend a steam fair. To me every (bigger) fair I visited was very impressing and you will find a lot of old cars too. On all fairs known to me at least one Model T was participating. My personal favourite is the Welland Steam Rally - not as big as the Great Dorset but perfect for one day. Nearby are the Malvern Hills and the Morgan Sportscar Factory (tours available).
1916 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic