Possible Sample of Hauling a T

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Willhop
First Name: WILLIAM
Last Name: HOPWOOD
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 50156
Board Member Since: 2018

Possible Sample of Hauling a T

Post by Willhop » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:58 pm

I have always appreciated checking out the Forum about the best way to do things. My only problem is finally deciding what to do after learning all the varied ways our experienced T owners have settled on. In this case, I would be interested in an observed sample of what haulers actually do and I can't think of a better statistic than by the number of Ts that show up for the National Tour. I didn't go on the Tour in Cookeville, TN, but did go down on Saturday to just watch the wonderful collection driving around town after they had registered. Wish I had thought of this before but maybe somebody at the Fairground parking lot can take a count as the folks head home later this week. There are probably many more topics (like best way of strapping down, which does create a can of worms) but right now I'm just wondering what the majority of haulers do with direction they face their T and whether or not they use a cover. It may not be possible, but the number hauled and the numbers each of direction and cover. If too late to ask, no problem, and maybe I'll think of it sooner next time (you know, age of cars and drivers). By the way, there were some wonderful looking Ts and drivers/riders for the Cumberland Tours. -Bill

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: Possible Sample of Hauling a T

Post by Allan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:20 am

William, there are as many opinions/ methods on towing, and each has it's own advantages/advocates. However, I have yet to hear of a proven way to cover a car on an open trailer which does not cause damage to the car. Wind buffeting will cause constant movement in the cover, and this translates to paintwork damage at multiple points. It is better to tow with the car uncovered. I did see a forum post where a car was wrapped in shrink-wrapping for a long haul. It looked weird on the trailer, but likely it was successful, because there was no movement in the covering.

I tow on a flatbed two wheel trailer. For long distance trips I fold and remove the top and carry it in the tow vehicle. A coreflute panel protects the radiator and headlights and another covers the windscreen. When I take Henrietta 1500 miles to our next national rally, The top will travel in my pickup bed and the seating in the car will be shrinkwrapped to keep the weather out. Her top and upholstery are of 1922 vintage and I need to preserve them as best I can.

Allan from down under.

Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:00 pm

I recently picked up my Towncar in the San Diego area to trailer it 400 miles north home. I put on the soft car cover and then proceeded to shrink wrap the whole car with five or six layers. Five miles later had to adjust the plastic since the wind on the highway tore into it. Five miles later applied duct tape all over to keep the plastic in place. Five miles later applied several layers of shrink wrap on top of the existing and more duct tape to keep things together. Five miles later more adjustments. No matter what I did the highway speed of 55 tore it apart. Eight hours later when I got home the car looked like the banners on a used car lot, in a thousand pieces. Ended up having to throw away even the expensive custom made car cover since it was shredded by the wind. I should have undone everything and turned the car around to minimize the spaces like the floorboards letting in the air and allowing the wind from working on the cover from both inside out and from outside in. The bottom line is I did not want to allow the wind to damage the fresh paint and the very expensive upholstery leather, but should have thought the wrapping through better. Live and learn?!?!?! Frank

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:47 pm

And if you tow a rubber bulb horn T in an open trailer; be sure to first remove the bulb and place it in the truck cab......Do Not ask me why I recommend this 🥵
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people.

Topic author
Willhop
First Name: WILLIAM
Last Name: HOPWOOD
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 50156
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Willhop » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:01 am

Thanks guys. Even without the sample I proposed (for which it sounds like the number of cover users would have been 0) you've convinced me to not haul with one. Right after I got my T, my wife gave me a surprise cover for Christmas. Therefore, I'll save it for stationery protection if ever feel it's needed. - Bill

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:42 pm

William

Here are three samples from the nat’l tour in Cookeville. The better protection for open body Model T’s on open car haulers for the interior is a custom fitted vinyl cover. Closed style bodies are easier to haul in the elements.

On my gray ‘27 the snap fitted cover goes just over the interior, has boot to cover the folded down top. Windshield closed, and nothing inside the T, gas shutoff, and ignition key removed.

Lots of bad roads when hauling that can shake and rattle stuff loose on your T ;)
9BB8BA90-F0E9-4E6E-8398-901C8BD01800.jpeg
9787959A-164C-444A-91DE-6578296351F3.jpeg
BBCC4D9A-F947-4A5A-87F5-2FCF57FAA25F.jpeg
ECFF4A65-6808-44F7-906A-BFF4B8280D4F.jpeg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Bill Dizer
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dizer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 coupe, 1927 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 28610
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Bill Dizer » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:58 pm

Has anyone tried one of those spiderweb bungee nets? When I open trailer towed a T chassis and parts from Indiana to NY covered with a tarp, the straps and tarp tore up in a hundred miles to the point where I also had streamers following me. I stopped at a super Walmart and found one of those nets. It has multiple hooks, stretches to cover a large area, and cured the tarp blowing around completely.

EricMac
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Macleod
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 25 Touring, 27 Fordor, 27 Fordor, 26 Touring, '92 Stynoski, '06 Stynoski owner emeritus
MTFCA Number: 50125
MTFCI Number: 19464
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by EricMac » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:45 pm

I am sure this is not the answer you are looking for but my opinion is the only way to transport a T is in a fully enclosed trailer. I use straps on the axles with microfiber cloths around the axles where the tiedowns rub on the axles. I never cross my straps, keeping them parallel to tle ling frame rails. Thus far, I've never had a problem. Hope that helps.
1913 Touring
1925 Touring
1926 Touring
1927 Fordor (2)
1927 Touring
Stynoski 2006, Nash, Franklin, Lincoln, Cadillac and Buick owner emeritus

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic