Mystery spark plugs. any idea what they are, age, ect...

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Mystery spark plugs. any idea what they are, age, ect...

Post by dobro1956 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:17 am

I got these two spark plugs at the Springfield Mo. swap meet last weekend. I have never seen this type plug before. Not sure if they are old "era" type of plugs or some later plug from the 60s, 70s 80s ect.?? Instead of porcelain insulators, they have a clear glass like insulator. You can see the electrode thru the glass ... I would love to find two more if anyone has any for sale ....
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (2).JPG
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (3).JPG
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (1).JPG

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Mystery spark plugs. any idea what they are, age, ect...

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:21 am

Could be something along this line;
https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87603
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:32 am

Bob's-plugs.jpg
Bob's-plugs.jpg (28 KiB) Viewed 3954 times
Plugs with glass insulators from Bob’s collection. “When you fired the engine, you’d adjust the carburetor to get the right color showing in the visible plug,” Lanning says. “They say it looked like the Fourth of July when they were running.”
https://www.farmcollector.com/tractors/ ... park-plugs
When did I do that?

Topic author
dobro1956
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring

Post by dobro1956 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:00 am

Thanks guys, I guess I need to put these in my T and see how they look ... It would be neat to have a set for the speedster project ...

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:45 am

It has been many years, I had forgotten about using a similar plug(s) to set up the SU carb(s) on the English cars I have owned.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Rich Eagle
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:32 pm

Just an after thought I'm reminded of these Rentz plugs.
Rentz.jpg
When did I do that?

Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:59 pm

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/82 ... 1520738060
We've had the discussion before - interesting plug called "Beacon Light." Not terribly rare but interesting and a nice collectors item. You can still find them NOS in the box. If you don't have the full set or a couple of extras you'll find them at Hersey.
I may have a couple of extras I could bring.
Terry

Topic author
dobro1956

Post by dobro1956 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:36 pm

Thanks Terry. The Beacon Light plug is what I have. I'm not going to Hershey but I'm interested in finding a couple more of the plugs. So please let me know if you have one or more that you would sell. I did a ebay search and nothing showed up at this time. But a "completed auction" search shows several have sold in the past.

I think they would look neat on the speedster project.

Thanks again for everyone's input. ..

RichardG
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

Post by RichardG » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:54 am

so that's where dad got the idea,--we had a ford tractor that would after some hard work start skipping, dad made some rigs that separated the wire from the plug, they was clear,-- and he drilled in ether side for the wire to slip in and the other to slip over the plug , a smaller hole drilled between the two, the gap was about 1/4 inch i guess ,at night they would look like you had fire fly's jumping around on the motor, as i remember he said the plug would foul with oil, and doing this helped the plug to run hotter and burn the oil that formed on the tip of the plug. as i remember they were H-10 champion plugs, i still find one when digging through the [junque] looking for that thing I know we had,--- WELL BLU--BERRY--SEASON IS OVER--time to fire up TRAGUTHER, -- after its snooze this winter, I bet 3 pulls on the arm strong starter--it will fire, put block in front of wheel--put trans in nut==--turn gas on--open drain on carb,to make shure i turned the shut off the right way and gas is flowing--let it drip a little,--shut it off--give it time to fill the bowl --pull--choke wire--give her three turns--advance throttle a bit-- retard spark[as gramp called it] switch the key on--grab the crank--give it a lift--and -- i will be hearing the sweet sound of --buzzing coils --and the clatter of -pistons-- doing what they do. LIFE IS GOOD. --SHE HAS A STARTER, BUT THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT CRANKING--KINDA LIKE WHEN LIFTING YOUR NEW BORN AND SLAPPING ITS BUTT-- TO GET BREATHING.. IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS A BUDDY AND I WILL BE WAKING A 24 FROM A LONG SLEEP OF SIXTY YEARS, I HAVE ITS CARB ON MY BENCH FOR SPRUCEING UP,--EVERY THING ELSE IS READY, NEW RUBBER--OIL--ECT--ECT-- SHE IS A PURTY LITTLE ROADSTER, BEEN SETTING IN A CELLAR ALL THOSE YEARS, IT TRANSPORTED ITS OWNER FROM PLAINFIELD N.H. TO DURHAM N.H. TO SCHOOL , IN THE 40'S . HE THOUGHT SO MUCH OF THE LITTLE FORD HE TUCKED IT AWAY WHERE IT WOULD BE SAFE, I KNEW OF THE CAR BUT ---NOT FOR SALE--YEARS PASSED,---I GOT A CALL FROM BOB FOR HELP, KEPT THINKING IVE SEEN THIS CAR BEFORE, THEN A NAME WAS SAID ,END OF STORY. BOY TALK ABOUT RAMBLEING. HAVE A SUPER DAY.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic