Generator Rebuild

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Generator Rebuild

Post by RustyFords » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:19 am

Who's the best person to send my generator to for a complete rebuild?
1924 Touring

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Generator Rebuild

Post by RajoRacer » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:31 am

Ron Patterson.

Topic author
RustyFords

Post by RustyFords » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:13 pm

Thanks. I sent him an email.
1924 Touring

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:22 pm

Have you considered rebuilding it yourself? I was kind of hesitant at first but I rebuilt the ones on 2 of my T’s to see if I could do it myself. They work fine.
I took the armatures to a local generator and starter shop to check the armatures and the were good.
Once I did the first one the second was easy as I learned what and what not to do.

All the parts are avaliable and there are plenty of instructions avaliable to do the job.
So far I have been able to do all the work on a T other than Babbitt and machine work.
To me the brush holders are a little tricky but just taking your time is the way to go.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:27 pm

I rebuilt both of mine Don. Local shop turned armatures and tested. Now I have a lathe to turn them. I think Ron is the man but you can do it!

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:47 pm

I agree the two choices are yourself with the book, or Ron. I would not let a local shop get their mitts on it. BTDT
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
RustyFords

Post by RustyFords » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:49 pm

This is certainly within my wheelhouse of things I can do. I just don't have the time or the desire (right now) to learn the tricks relevant to a Model T generator.

Part of this stems from the fact that I now have a running/driving car and I'm antsy to cure the big issues that are keeping it from being completely enjoyable. There are three of them currently....the radiator (I've already put my name on the list for a new Berg's unit), the generator (I'm on Ron's list) and tires/tubes (they've already arrived from Summit Racing and are waiting for me to get them mounted).

I almost certainly will take the time somewhere down the road to learn the ins and outs of the T generator and will rebuild one, but this is one instance where I'm going to punt and let a pro do it for me. When life slows down for me in eight years, I have another good core that I can learn on. I'll hold onto it for when that day comes.
1924 Touring

Gonenorth
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Whelihan
MTFCA Number: 30688
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by Gonenorth » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:21 am

Outside of the recommendations already listed, you might want to ask around if there's a long established electrical shop that does lots of old tractor work. I found one under an hour's drive from me that was familiar with Model T generators, starters, and bolt on magnetos/distributors. The old gent who owns the place eye's up when I put the unit on his counter. Hard to tell who was happier: me that I found someone close to work on it, or him that someone brought him something he loved to work on.

Doug Keppler
First Name: Douglas
Last Name: Keppler
MTFCA Number: 49716
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Doug Keppler » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:29 am

I too like John did EVERYTHING on my car except babbit pouring and coil rebuilding. When I rebuilt the starter and generator I wondered if they were even going to work but after it was all put together it all worked perfectly! Those were one of the easy parts of the restoration. A lot of guys get intimidated by certain jobs when rebuilding a T when they shouldn't. Its all pretty easy as mechanic work goes and VERY satisfying when completed that's where the therapy comes in. Try doing engine work on one of those Ford 6.7 Diesels, now your talking difficult!
1924 Touring car
There's No Substitute for Proper Lubrication

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic