1919-1927 Generator Parts Postions

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
VowellArt
First Name: Martynn
Last Name: Vowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, th "Lady"
MTFCA Number: 9908
Board Member Since: 2012

1919-1927 Generator Parts Postions

Post by VowellArt » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:01 am

Ok, I'm looking for information as to where and how these bloody parts fit inside the 1919-1927 Generator.

Small Felt Ring
SmallBearingFeltWasher.jpg
I know it goes either between the bearing and the housing or between the bearing and the armature and I think that the retainer plate (shown in the next picture is what holds this fuzzy little beast either against the bearing or away from the armature...but I'm not sure).

Small Bearing Retainer Plate
SmallBearingRetainerPlate2.jpg
This is another question, which way does it face and which end of the small bearing is it on...the housing side or the armature side?

And for that matter which way does the larger version on the front bearing (called the oil slinger) face and which end of the bearing is it on, the inside towards the armature or the outside towards the gear?

From the pictures I've seen in the Ford parts book, the bearings are not sealed bearings at all like in the vendor catalogs, but ball bearings requiring oil (which is why there is an oiler on the back of the generator housing. I'm assuming that the front bearing got oiled by the timing gear and all that glop slinging around in there.

Any help and or pictures of these parts in their natural mechanical habitat, would be very helpful and very much appreciated, thanks. :)
Fun never quits!

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: 1919-1927 Generator Parts Postions

Post by jab35 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:43 pm

Martyn: This former Forum photo shows the small end of a generator armature with felt and washer. I believe the outward curve of the cup is toward the shaft end, then the felt and lastly the bearing. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/564886.jpg

The gear end, posted by Ron Patterson in Aug, 2012:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/308138.jpg

I think there are Ford pics in the mtfca Electrical System guidebook that show these features, but new detailed drawings would be a welcome contribution to the hobby. All the best, jb

Topic author
VowellArt
First Name: Martynn
Last Name: Vowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, th "Lady"
MTFCA Number: 9908
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by VowellArt » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:48 pm

James, Thanks for the links, I guess I should've went looking for those myself, but I've never been good with any search on this forum. I wish I had that electrical book, because it has all sorts of other goodies in it too and talks in great length on how to rebuild the generator (something I'm doing now). But my generator doesn't have either of the two metal parts nor that fuzzy washer. My bearings are sealed, so there was no reason for them, what I've got on the armature side of the small bearing is a rather large spacer and on the front a couple of Belleville (deep) Washers, they look a bit like the one in the picture but aren't, for one thing they're made of Type 316 stainless.
Fun never quits!

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:04 pm

The book is very good, but Ron Patterson really explains it, I was lucky to have his guidance. Pity he no longer posts here, he continues to post excellent technical material on the other site.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic