Grease cow flops

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
paddy1998
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Delaney
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922/23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50356

Grease cow flops

Post by paddy1998 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:44 pm

As you can see in the picture, everywhere I go when I park I leave a blob of grease under the car from where the driveshaft meets the transmission.

I realize that something is wrong here but I don't know what it is. Is there some kind of seal that's gone bad?
Attachments
IMG_20190825_183630.jpg

Scott_Conger
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Grease cow flops

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:59 pm

From the stain associated with it, it looks like some engine oil is mixing with ujoint grease and you're losing a little oil soaked grease. This is fairly normal. The more worn the 4th main is, the more oil works out. In some rare instances, the tailshaft is missing a welch plug due to being missed at rebuild time, but that results in more oil than it seems you have. In worst cases, excess oil will work its way to the rear end and overfill the rear end, leading to leaks out the rear wheels worse than normal. I once knew someone who thought they had struck it rich in the oil business as they were constantly having to drain their rear axle (not thinking about all the oil they were adding to the engine). There is no seal missing, though if you have a little extra play at the drive tube ball and rear main, you can purchase a shim that will take up some of the slackness and form a little more of a labyrinth for the grease to work through.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
paddy1998
Last Name: Delaney
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922/23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50356

Post by paddy1998 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:04 pm

Okay, thanks!

I keep a sharp eye on the oil and it's not down at all. Also, I checked the grease cups and there's plenty in there.

That having been said, a few weeks ago I REALLY greased that joint. It took a lot before it was full. I wonder if I put too much in there.

Scott_Conger
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:23 pm

I was actually going to ask if you had really given it a good going over recently. In any event, these things do throw it out, and if too full will self correct, and then continue to leak..HAHA. In any event, a couple turns or a cup of grease now and then and you're fine. Just don't simply fail to grease it and drive it for 20 years. The ujoint is a very robust part. And the only grease that's doing you any good is the grease that made it's way into the bearings...all the extra is just that...extra.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:55 pm

Excessive grease departure in that area could also be indicative of a worn ball on the end of the torque tube. Simple test is to pull the hand brake lever back & forth rather aggressively and watch for any movement of the ball moving within the collar - you'll see it if it's worn - vendors sell a steel/tin shim for a remedy.

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:59 pm

The time to worry is when it stops leaving it's mark. At that point you're out of oil and grease. :D

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:20 am

was thinking of adapting something like this
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

kmatt
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe, 1921 speedster, 1925 TT, 1916 Exp
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:18 am

Scott: I zoomed in on your picture, make sure that both the upper and lower plugs are in place at the U joint pin access points. It is hard to tell because of all the grease but it looks like the upper plug may not be installed and a missing lower plug could allow grease and oil to drip as you show in your picture.

tom_strickling
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Strickling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 18 Touring, 21 TT Huckster, 24 snowmpbile Staude and Shaw tractor conversions, Model T powered sickel bar mower

Post by tom_strickling » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:41 am

Looks as if the 4 bolts need tightened up and definitely you need safety wire and cotter pins on those four bolts

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2571MB.aspx
“The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off.” – Abe Lemons.

Duckwing
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Wilson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster Pickup

Post by Duckwing » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:44 am

Why is there much more radius rod end thread showing on one side?

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:57 am

Scott, you might check that there is just one gasket in the ball joint assembly. It goes between the back of the hogs head and the ball cap. Some mistakenly fit a gasket on both sides of the ball cap, thus opening up the gap between the ball and the retaining cap holding it in place. This will exaggerate the same problem that a worn ball will give, play at the ball and easy egress for grease.

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic