Ruckstell shifts backwards?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
bobt
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 touring 1926 roadster

Ruckstell shifts backwards?

Post by bobt » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:04 am

Hello. This is my first post. I own two model Ts. The first is a 1926 roadster and my favorite is by 1915 touring. Both cars have Ruckstell rear ends. On every Ruckstell rear I've seen, The arm on the rear end faces inward and the on the 1926, it does too. When the Ruckstell shift lever is FORWARD it is in HIGH. On my 1915, the arm on the rear end faces outward so when the shift lever is FORWARD, it is in LOW? I have learned to live with this but I would like to standardize them so both cars would shift the same. How hard is it to remove and turn the shift lock lever on the rear end of the 1915 180 degrees? Thanks, bobt

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Ruckstell shifts backwards?

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:23 am

It may depend more than a little bit on what sort of work was done on it in the past. It would appear something was not done correctly. It also depends a bit on whether it is the earlier or later shift/lock assembly. I don't offhand recall which one is easier to work on. I know one style (just don't recall which one?) is fairly easy to get in backwards. I have heard of several people doing so unintentionally. I have also heard of a few people doing that deliberately for some reason or another. If it were mine, I would want it correct. Best bet is to take the offending shift/lock assembly off and see how difficult it will be to correct it. With a little luck? It may be a simple take apart and put together the right way. If not? It may be better to get into it and fix it right sooner rather than later anyway.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:35 am

Robert a lot are pretty simple to fix by removing the shifter from the rear housing. Remove the pin or set screw, rotate a hundred and eighty degrees out. Should work well for you.

Mr Smith, your tone towards others really has no merit! Please restrain your rudeness as this kills the hobby. Just my three cents.

To All a Good Day,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:42 am

You cannot reverse the shift lock on the axle. However, if the rod connecting the shift lever next to the driver to the axle were to be installed above the fulcrum it could shift backward. This would involve modifications to the shift lever inside the car rather than on the axle. [attachment=0]Ruckstell shift.jpg
Attachments
Ruckstell shift.jpg

Topic author
bobt

Post by bobt » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:06 pm

Thank you mr. original smith. This is my first post on the forum. Is this the respect I will get on future questions? I think I'll just find another model T forum. bobt

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:48 pm

Bob

Most of us are happy you're here. I am, that's for sure.

Email sent.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:16 pm

Bobt, if your shift lock is like a Perfecto, the shifting lever can fit into the fork one of four ways because it's a a square fit where it enters. If that's the case it's simply a matter of reversing the lever 180 degrees and changing the connecting rod to fit.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:12 pm

How are we supposed to know when a post is a persons first post? Next, since your question says it shifts backwards, doesn't it make sense to turn it 180 degrees and the problem will be solved?

Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:42 pm

Robert, it may help to get a ruckstell book from Chaffins garage to explain the whole correction process. While you are at it, talk to Dave, the guy that picks up the phone at Chaffins, and he could also give you a lot of information. They make all the ruckstell parts. Frank

Henry K. Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479

Post by Henry K. Lee » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:43 pm

Mr. Smith,

His first sentence states that.

Out of respect to all, we are here to help everyone. We are a club first, and as time progresses, friends, family, brothers and sisters.

We should never judge but assist as we do not know others background in their mechanical abilities.

We are only stewards in time filling the gap, God Speed to All!

Hank

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by StanHowe » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:34 pm

Robert, just ignore the posts from a few people. It won't take long until you figure out who they are. Now get a big sheet of white paper, draw a nice border design on it and with your best Sharpie, print "The Loudest Boos Come From the Cheapest Seats!! Thumbtack it to your wall and every time somebody makes a snarky comment just look up at it and say YUP!!!

Now to your question. The shift arm in the shift lock has an indent where a bolt goes through to tighten the collar on the arm inside. When all parts are new the arm can only be installed one way. In rebuilding old Ruckstells I sometimes found that the other side of the arm had been filed to allow the bolt to go through so the arm could point to the outside of the car instead of the differential. I have no idea why but somebody thought it was a good idea at the time. Lost to history and time.

So there is how to fix it. Remove the shift lock by removing the three bolts that hold it on. Looking at it from the inside you will see a clamp bolt. Remove that bolt, pull the arm up until you can turn it to the inside and push it back down through the collar. Replace the clamp bolt and tighten it tight. Replace the shift lock on the housing making sure that the inner bolt (the slot head one with the nut) is tight before you put the nut on as this holds the internal locking plate tight (along with the short bolt on the top of the housing) It should now shift correctly.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:53 pm

If the lever on the axle faces toward the wheel, then you have an incorrect shift lever. You can order a brand new one from the vendors, or look for a good used one at swap meets. It might be possible to disassemble the shift lock, but I have never done it, so will not comment on whether it could be possible.
Norm

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by StanHowe » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:59 pm

There is nothing to the early ones. The late "long nose" style is a little more complicated but not all that much.
Take it off and fix it. It's a half hour deal at the most.

Joe Reid
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Reid
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Coupe, 1920 Roadster, 1923 Touring, 1924 Roadster, 1913 Racer
MTFCA Number: 52067
MTFCI Number: 22088
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Joe Reid » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:31 pm

Is the shift mechanism on the axle 90 degrees off. Was the shift lever placed incorrectly on the yoke? Do you have the early or later rear shift?

Topic author
bobt

Post by bobt » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:43 pm

IT'S FIXED!! Thanks for all the help and useful information. I removed the shift lock lever and installed it correctly and it now shifts like my 26. Cased closed! Thanks again, bobt

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:05 pm

Success!
Thank you for the update.

Henry K. Lee