Is there a facing reamer made for spindle bushings?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Is there a facing reamer made for spindle bushings?

Post by DHort » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:48 pm

I know I can use a file or possibly a sander, but wondering if anyone recommends a reamer. Thank you.

GG Gregory
First Name: GG
Last Name: Gregory
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Roadster

Re: Is there a facing reamer made for spindle bushings?

Post by GG Gregory » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:33 pm

Yes, most Venders sell the tool.

Chad_Marcheese
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Marcheese
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Cut Off Touring / Pickup, 1923 Doodlebug / 1924 Speedster Gow Job
MTFCA Number: 26904
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Chad_Marcheese » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:33 pm

Yes, there is a facing reamer. I have used either an original or a reproduction version. I obviously took note on how it was made. Then just recently, I made my own, as I had waited almost two years to buy a reproduction from a T vendor.

A 1/2" bolt, A spot face cutter opened up in the middle for the bolt, and a piece of small tubing for the top. Te toughest part was getting the cutter square. I only had one blade cutting initially from the 4. I cut the spot welds loose, tightened everything real goof on the spindle and re tack welded the cutter back on. It's perfect now. You tighten the nut on the bottom snug and turn the top handle. I bought used cutters so they are not super sharp, but it still gets the job done.

If you build it, i highly recommend a fine thread (1/2" X 20) bolt. I may remake this using a fine thread bolt if I get around to it. My total investment was $20.

Spindle bushing facer.jpg
Spindle bushing facer.jpg (92.07 KiB) Viewed 2927 times

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:12 pm

I used a file on the bottom spindle bushing and both mating surfaces on the axle. The reamer is best, but if you do not ream both bearing surfaces on the axle, I don't think it is any better than careful filing. Nice job on the custom-made reamer. jb

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:20 pm

I have and use an original Spindle bushing reamer. And I only ream the lower new bushing to fit the spindle in the axle yoke. The entire weight of the front of the T is on the upper bushings. Why ream them ?
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people.

autoneer
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Beaumont
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Open Runabout: 1913 Canadian touring: 1921 Pickup

Post by autoneer » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:46 pm

I use a lathe.
Measure the axle opening, then the spindle, and that gives you the difference. Take it all off the bottom IF the bushings are not overly thick as some of the repos are. If not, split the difference to favor the lower one, leave about .008 clearance. A dial indicator will get you spot on. When you press it together Bingo! it fits.
Best,
Jeff

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic