Spool ??

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
art32mor
First Name: Art
Last Name: Morra
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24T Touring
MTFCI Number: 14286

Spool ??

Post by art32mor » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:19 am

Ok i forgotton mix and matching parts
Have late teen closed spool rear end and putting in 26-7 rear end in its place do i need swap the spool
I want use same drive line if possible
Im thinking i need open spool make this swap

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Spool ??

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:31 am

I have seen closed spools work on later rear ends. I have also seen them NOT work. Sometimes the outer lip on the early spool needs to be ground off to fit over the rough taper of the front face of the later rear end. Regardless, the fit or mesh of the gears NEEDS to be carefully checked and proper adjustments made. Personally, If it were me? I would use the later open spool on any later rear end. The mesh should still be checked. However, with all good parts, and all '20s pieces, I have never needed to make much adjustment on the drive shaft position. Thrust washer spacing, yes, adjustments needed. Drive shaft? All good later pieces usually fall into place.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: Spool ??

Post by Allan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:48 am

Usually a closed spool will not fit a 26-7 axle housing because of the shoulder on the rear end of the spool. Axle housings to accept the closed spool are machined so the shoulder goes on over the machined rebate. The later axle housings have a tapered shoulder, preventing the closed spool from seating. An open spool will fit early housings but not vise versa. If you must use your closed spool, the lip can be machined off the back end of it.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic