Oil dippers on rod cap question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Marshall V. Daut
First Name: Marshall
Last Name: Daut
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe

Oil dippers on rod cap question

Post by Marshall V. Daut » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:14 pm

I have never been able to get the search function to work on this website, so if this question has been asked and answered a million times already, make it a million and one!
The friend's Coupe engine with the piston problems has what appears to be almost new rod bearing Babbitt. Hurray! Something done right on this car - finally! Someone has also drilled the rod caps for oil dippers/scoopers. The hole is already through the cap and the Babbitt, so I'll have to stay with the dippers. But - the hole in the cap is only 1/8" and the one in the top of the rod that goes down through the rod's Babbitt is only 7/64". These both seem rather small to do much good, especially the rod cap's 1/8" hole, the one that does all the scooping. I should think it would need to be larger. It is chamfered, but seems too small to do much good. I also would have drilled the hole at an angle to take advantage of the dipper's angled inlet. The caps on these pistons are drilled vertically. Oh, well. Too late now to change. 'Gotta live with it.
The question: Would it be advisable to open up the cap's 1/8" hole to the next size larger or is it too risky with negligible gain? If the consensus is to enlarge that hole, should I drill through the Babbitt down through the cap to avoid chipping the bearing material?
Marshall
Attachments
IMG_2469_resized.jpg
IMG_2470_resized.jpg

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Re: Oil dippers on rod cap question

Post by Kerry » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:39 pm

Don't mess with the rod holes leave them as is. the caps can be drilled a little larger from the out side and chamfer the babbitt with a much larger drill bitt by hand.

Kohnke Rebabbitting
First Name: Herman
Last Name: Kohnke
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Roadster, 1922 Coupe

Post by Kohnke Rebabbitting » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:48 pm

Holes in the cap, or web, and a Dipper will do no good, unless the rod has a X Groove System.

The holes in the web should be 3/16, and drilled on both sides of the web.

The cap should be drilled with 3/16 hole, and not over 1/4.

With out the X Groove, oil can not enter the bearing. It would be like trying to put water in an up side down grass, until you relieve the pressure in the glass, to make it flow through.

The dark rod is a spun poured rod of about 1930, from the clawson & Bals Co. The gold rod is one of ours we took to swap meets.

Herm.
Attachments
Model T Spun Poured Rod 018.jpg
Model T Spun Poured Rod 018.jpg (27.26 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
Model T Spun Poured Rod 010.jpg
Model T Spun Poured Rod 010.jpg (13.52 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
Model T Spun Poured Rod 008.jpg
Model T Spun Poured Rod 008.jpg (19 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
Model T Spun Poured Rod 007.jpg
Model T Spun Poured Rod 007.jpg (20.37 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
One Of Our Model A Ford Spun Poured Rods 038.jpg

Topic author
Marshall V. Daut
First Name: Marshall
Last Name: Daut
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe

Post by Marshall V. Daut » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:44 am

Thanks, guys! Need X-grooves in the Babbitt in order to make the dippers functional? I was afraid of that, Herm. :( Nice work on your rods! Too bad you didn't do this engine. I'd sure like to find the numbskull who did: 0.020" valve clearances, loose as a goose rods with UNADJUSTED 1/8" stacks of shims, oddball aftermarket pistons with rings that can't be found, etc. And the thing still ran smoothly, just no power.
Marshall

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Post by Joe Bell » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:49 am

I have pulled down engines with odd pistons in them, you have to remember at one time nothing was availible, I have seen plenty of Ford 292 or 312 piston in them that may be what you have. Hope this helps.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic