Model T tan

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Model T tan

Post by Mark Osterman » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:30 am

I drive my T with no top all the time and generally I wear an old fedora hat. By the fall I have a pretty good “farmer” tan on my face, neck and forearms. It’s not really good for me and my wife is always suggesting applying a high number sun block lotion particularly on my nose. What do others do to keep from getting skin cancer while enjoying their model Ts ?

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Model T tan

Post by DLodge » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:01 am

Mark, my solution probably won't work for you. Being a fair-skinned blond (well, gray now), I have always preferred shade over sun. My solution in the T is to keep the top up 98% of the time. I rarely get sunburned and so far have never had skin cancer.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:18 am

Like Dick, I keep the top up, but other activities (like farming :lol:) gets me a pretty deep "farmer tan" anyhow. Your wife's advice is good, take it ! You could improve the shade over your scnhozz with a broader-brimmed hat. As for preventing cancer, choose the right forebears, and don't worry. Worry causes cancer ! 😉
"Get a horse !"

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032

Post by George Mills » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:50 pm

Get a Hack..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Being Celt and a former sun worshipper, my dermatologist tells me he bought the house across the street from his own house in Panama on my family proceeds. Hummph

Have a car shirt, a loose and baggy one with a Florida back flap...and a Florida fishing hat. Fashionista you won’t be...but the hats are good to SPF 50!
Attachments
17719D0E-65D2-473A-82BC-DB738FFC59C4.jpeg

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:45 pm

I do the same as Dlodge. I don't think the top has been down in the last three years. I get all the sun I need maintaining five acres.

rbishop26
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Bishop
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring, 1917 touring
MTFCA Number: 502
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by rbishop26 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:43 pm

Mark,
I've been driving T's with the top down for 19 years now, occasionally getting sunburns, but not thinking much about it.
I recently received a diagnosis of melanoma and basal cell skin cancer with a pretty poor prognosis on the melanoma. I can't blame it all on the T's because I grew up in So. Calif and had 52 years of playing in the sun before I ever met a Model T, not even wearing sunglasses (I also have a melanoma on the retina of my right eye). But the sunburns I received in the T's certainly didn't help.
I now wear long sleeve shirts, broad brim hats, sunglasses, slather on the sunscreen, and look like a total dork, but it's a little like closing the barn door after the horse gets out!
The good news is I'll soon be selling 2 pretty nice Model T's to avoid putting my family thru that in the near future. The bad news is that it won't be me enjoying them as long as I should have.
Be aware of the sun and the damage it does. Like all radiation, it's cumulative and the exposure over your life time adds up. One sunburn resulting in blisters substantially increases your chances of melanoma.
Bob Bishop
San Diego, CA
1914 touring, 1917 touring

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:15 pm

When I am going to spend a lot of time outdoors I use SPF 50 "sport" sunscreen on my face, ears, neck, etc. such as Coppertone Sport, Banana Boat Sport or Target store brand "Up and Up" Sport.

If I am working on projects outdoors, I wear long sleeves.

Right now, I am painting my parents' house. Because I don't wear gloves while painting, I also put sunscreen on my hands, wrists and the first six inches of my forearms.

If you are really prone to burning, you can also put zinc oxide on your nose and cheeks, like a lifeguard.

If you are taking long trips with the top down, even with sunscreen you are usually going to get wind burn.

ModelT46
First Name: Darel
Last Name: Leipold
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring
MTFCA Number: 823
MTFCI Number: 953

Post by ModelT46 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:10 pm

I never cover up to block the sun. If I sun burn. in two or three days it turrns to tan. I drive my Ford (Mostly my 31 roadster)with the top down. When I work out side, I will wear a cap to block the sun for my eyes. At 87 I am nicely taned. I guess it runs in my family to tan okay.
Attachments
Photo on 9-7-19 at 5.09 PM.jpg
Photo on 9-7-19 at 5.09 PM.jpg (60.38 KiB) Viewed 4747 times

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:31 pm

I wear a 'baseball cap ear flap' hat that I purchased on ebay for $8. It shades my head ears and neck. Still trying to find the right thing for my nose.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:53 pm

George, your Florida back flap is called a Havelock. Outdoor workers in Australia are required to wear sun protection hats as part of OH&S initiatives, and many of these now include a Havelock.

My sunhat of choice is what we call a bucket hat. It is not wide brimmed but its brim does come down low over the ears and forehead, so it has the same effect.

Allan from down under.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:46 am

Bob Bishop

very sorry to hear of recent developments. Wishing you and your family the best.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:35 pm

I don't worry about it. I know it's a better idea to keep the top up, but sometimes I just don't think about it. I recently drove my T from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe and back with the top down. The top of my nose got sunburnt, but after two days, it went away, and now it's back to normal. I've got sun lotion and all that stuff, but I always forget to bring it. I also have what they call T knees. You get that from driving T's around with shorts on.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic