Getting closer

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Getting closer

Post by George Mills » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:50 am

I FINALLY found why my Hack is fuel starved and I almost don't believe the reason why.

The carb which was relatively new and a known good source and not one of my own rebuilds turned out to be the evil one. It had checked out fine on the bench during all the foibles and red herring work sessions. A while back when the carb was cleaned as part of problem sorting, I noticed it had a Grosse Jet valve which surprised me as I've never had one before, and never thought to ask the rebuilder as surely he would be a needle and seat guy? No issue, just the thought. So now still fuel starved, I take the carb off again, open the fuel line and it flows like a river, turn that off and take the bowl off and lift the float while looking through and see the ball go up and down. Problem must be in the valve body.

Out comes the jet, carb passes air great...go figure. Jet back in, no flow even with the ball appearing open. Off comes the jet and poke thru the body with a 3/16 bit, blow and my golly, it's almost a whistle with free flow. Long story short and a few episodes later, the ball goes up and down...sometimes opens a few thousandths more! %#$%#$%#$%#$%#$%#. It only flows when ALL the way open and its clean.

I think I know the answer, but right now I don't have a needle and seat on the shelf.

Is there something I am missing on a Grosse Jet that would make it behave as it does? Something that I can 'fix' for now to get by?

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Getting closer

Post by DanTreace » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:43 pm

Have always had problems with Grosse, seem to stick open or closed for any reason, most for me is from gas setting a while, other times from additives in todays gas that dry and deposit on the ball. Maybe too is these are china made, balls can be tiny bit out of roundness, seating poorly. :shock:

You know my fix :D Go with Ford. 8-)

100_7541 - Copy.jpg
100_7541 - Copy.jpg (151.1 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic