Question about cast iron HH

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Question about cast iron HH

Post by Dan Hatch » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:11 pm

Does anyone still use the Non Starter Cast Iron Hogs Heads? I have some that I am thinking about stripping down and scraping. I have not had a call for any in so long and I need to thin down . Input? Dan

kmatt
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe, 1921 speedster, 1925 TT, 1916 Exp
MTFCA Number: 11598

Re: Question about cast iron HH

Post by kmatt » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:53 pm

Dan: I don't know about demand for nonstarter cast iron hog's heads, probably small, but note that there are two types for USA left hand drive production. The 1916-1917 type with the clutch shaft drilled threw on right side. The 1918-1919 early type with the blind hole not drilled threw on the right side. Just in case you need to keep some hog's heads for incomplete engines you have.

HornsRus
First Name: Charley
Last Name: Shaver
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913

Post by HornsRus » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:19 pm

my 13 alum one was wore out, so i hung it on the wall.i used the early one ground off the webbs,then had it powder coated silver. charley

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:31 pm

I have a cast iron one that I am thinking about adding the starter to.
Of course it is RH drive and finding one with a starter where I live is pretty much impossible!

Luxford
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Kable
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Town Car 1913 Speedster 1915 kampcar
MTFCA Number: 4
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Luxford » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:26 pm

Les,

Just a suggestion, why not get a LHD HH with starter and cut out the right side out and weld the RHD pedals in?
Was done here in the T era in Australia, would be an easy job knowing your abilities.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:48 pm

I wish I were closer to you. I have one, but have at least two projects that should have one. I don't know if I will ever get around to those two projects, but I would like to save good parts from scrappers and have as many pieces as I can for the projects.
A few years back, for a short while, they seemed to be in demand, now not so much. Too many people putting starters on pre-'19 Ts I guess. Maybe some day I will have to, but I won't do so until then.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic