Dean Yoder gets a ride to OCF

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
KimDobbins
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Dobbins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 touring, 1910 touring, 1913 touring, 1916 couplet, 1924 truck.
MTFCA Number: 8243

Dean Yoder gets a ride to OCF

Post by KimDobbins » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:11 pm

Dean and I were walking into OCF on Sunday morning and a guy pulled up and said do you guys want a ride? He was in a roadster so I told Dean to go ahead and I’d walk in. The guy said pull out the seat on the side of the car so we both had a ride in in a 1923 Pilot automobile.
Attachments
A0EA1C98-D24C-418C-A259-8BEAF956A618.jpeg

Rob
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Heyen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

Re: Dean Yoder gets a ride to OCF

Post by Rob » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:23 pm

Kim,
I wondered how you had a photo of Dean riding to Old Car Festival, as he rode with me. Of course you meant a different ride. Below is a photo taken as Dean and I headed to his place from OCF:
IMG_4078.PNG

I was imoressed how fresh Dean is following a long arduous trip..... :D

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by FreighTer Jim » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:52 pm

KD,

Sounds like you might be back home.

Dean posted a video taken from his passenger seat on Facebook.

Mark Atkins was your Driver.

He was one of the volunteers that spent six
years restoring that Pilot for The Wayne County Historical Society.

Mark is one of the volunteer tradesmen
that transformed the empty shell in
a depressed downtown Richmond into
the MTFCA Museum.

Mark is a funny guy .... :mrgreen:

FJ

E6915ECD-4766-4E1F-82DF-A570741F4A53.jpeg
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

Topic author
KimDobbins
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Dobbins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 touring, 1910 touring, 1913 touring, 1916 couplet, 1924 truck.
MTFCA Number: 8243

Post by KimDobbins » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:09 pm

Rob, you wore the poor guy out! I even saw him polishing brass on your car. My days at the archives were very productive, I found lots of drawings on the model B and model K steering column.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:53 pm

I have long had a fondness for Paige automobiles. When I was fifteen, my dad bought a 1927 Paige 6-45 to be the "great family project. The idea was we would restore the car as a family project. However, my dad was big on ideas, and not so good at the follow-through. The car got disassembled and then buried under so much stuff that it could hardly be seen in the garage, let alone got to and worked on. Two years later, I got an antique car of my own, drove it to high school, and began a long line of cars, projects, restorations, etc. However, that Paige got me to research the marque, and I found their history to be very interesting. That car got me interested in Paige automobiles in general.
One of the high points in Paige history was the 6-66 Daytona roadster. And one of the interesting details about the Daytona roadster is that it has a drawer seat much like the one shown on this Pilot automobile. I have always wanted to ride in one of those!
There is a fellow I know through the AACA forum that favors Kissel automobiles. He has a couple Gold Bugs which also have a seat in a drawer feature which has been discussed and commented on often. I have sated on their forum several times that I would love to ride in one of those seats! Even at speed! My comment usually follows other's saying they would NEVER consider riding in such a thing!

A wonderful picture of one of the model T world's famous icon members!
(And a nice car by the way!)
Thank you KD

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:22 am

There was another car at the meet with drawer seats. I think it was a Kissel, and it was yellow too!

FreighTer Jim

Mark mentioned that

Post by FreighTer Jim » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:03 am

Original Smith wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:22 am
There was another car at the meet with drawer seats. I think it was a Kissel, and it was yellow too!
Mark Atkins told me he saw that car at OCF.

I think Pilot was offering a “ one up “ on the competition by upgrading the Golf Bag Door to a
Caddy Seat ... :idea:

FJ

BobD
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Doris
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout, 1930 Sport Coupe
MTFCA Number: 32538
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by BobD » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:58 pm

Another shot of the 1922 Pilot. Information on the windshield reads 1922 Richmond Pilot Sportster.
Attachments
pilot.jpg

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:42 pm

The Kissel God Bug that was there was there along with another Kissel, both taken by the same fellow that I sort-of know from the AACA forum. I do not know if any Kissels other than his two were there.
He is also finishing up an incredible restoration of a (1918 I think?) Kissel with an extremely rare body style. Many mid size and high-end manufacturers offered such a car, however the survival rate for them is abysmal to put it mildly. The body is very carefully designed and built with two tops! One, a hard-top with the upper half of full doors, roof, and windows. The other, a typical roadster/touring car top and windshield. His is like a short-coupled sedan with a fixed roof with the hard-top. Or a four passenger roadster with the folding top and windshield. His is the only such Kissel to still exist in any decent condition, and one of very few such cars of any marque to be in show-worthy condition. It was in terrible condition when he got it, but being so rare and unusual with so few of any marque still in existence, he decided to undertake the nearly impossible and restored it to fully show-worthy and tour-able condition. He even built a special "show cart" to display the alternate top alongside the car!
I have seen many pictures of it on the AACA forum! Watch for it in future OCFs or other significant shows around that part of the country.

FreighTer Jim

Wayne County Historical Society

Post by FreighTer Jim » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:45 pm

The Wayne County Historical Museum in Richmond, Indiana has a small but impressive early car collection in the “ basement “ of the
main building.

They also have a lot of other cool stuff:

@ http://waynecountyhistoricalmuseum.org/

FJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic