Values?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Values?

Post by Oldav8tor » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:19 pm

I almost hate to ask this of you but I guess I'm going to Hershey for the first time and will have a table there....long story. I have a number of items left from the restoration of my 1917 touring (sept 1916 build) that I have no idea what a fair price would be. Can those of you in the know help me out?

Needle nose three dip oil pan
high head
non-starter hogshead
steering shaft
Round tube radiator (small crack in filler neck, holds water)
Ford Embossed hand air pump - pump body only
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Re: Values?

Post by Humblej » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:19 am

Tim, being your first time, I wouldnt bother bringing anything to sell.
Last edited by Humblej on Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:36 am, edited 27 times in total.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:23 am

Tim, being your first time, I wouldnt bother bringing anything to sell. Your table space will be an excellent base camp to return to with treasures and to rest. When I was a kid I could walk through hershey twice in a day, model t parts were everywhere, and reasonable prices, parking was close enough to go back and forth. I do not go anymore, to big, too crowded, not as many t parts, too much walking...it has become an exercise in patience and endurance. I would shy away from buying anything big and or heavy, and I wouldnt take an oil pan or head even if they were free due to the difficulty getting it to my car. I have set up a table at the carlisle swap meet the week before hershey, but didnt man the table, just clearly marked the price in the items and an honor box for someone to pay if they wanted something. But first time hershey is best expierenced as a buyer, not a seller.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:30 am

I would agree with Jeff on some points, but I disagree on not buying anything heavy. That's because of one of my earliest and best Hershey purchases.
IMG_1758 copy.JPG
I paid $10 for this folding shopping cart and added the handle extension so it doesn't keep giving me a flat tire when I drag it behind me.

There may not be as much T stuff as there used to be, but there's still a LOT.

If I took things to sell, I'd clearly mark prices, leave a kitty, and go shopping. The meet is so huge that it takes me three days to cover it all, and I wouldn't want to waste my time just sitting. For the next couple of weeks I'm taking the time to walk a few miles daily to get in shape for it. I didn't last year, and after Hershey I was pretty sore.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:12 pm

If the pan, hogshead, and head are original to your car, I would keep them in case you or a subsequent owner would like to return the car to a more correct state.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:38 pm

I do not want to say, because, frankly, at this point I do not know what the value is of a late narrow/needle nose pan, or non-starter iron hogshead. What I have seen, is that for about fifteen years, both those items were few and far between. And when one was found, they tended to be a bit pricey. I even ran into a fellow that was willing to pay $75 for one non-starter hogshead because he needed it and hadn't been able to get one for a couple years at that time (I didn't have one at the time and was wanting one myself). About a month ago on the forum, one of the regulars was offering to give away several cast iron non-starter hogsheads (minus pedals etc) because he needed to thin his bulk of extra parts and didn't want to scrap them.
Just about six years ago, I saw needle nose pans in solid but rough condition selling for $300 for later ('14 to'17) ones, and as much as $600 for '12/'13 teacups in rough shape. I bought one from Layden Butler in really rough shape for a cheap $150 (about) in REALLY rough shape (I had to outbid a few people on eBad to get it!). I think they dropped off the bidding cheap due to the shipping costs and risks of sight unseen. Whereas I was able to stop by Layden's place and look it over first, and was glad to get it!
In the past twelve months, however, Erik Barrett picked up a small stack of later narrow nose pans from an estate. He was selling them pretty cheap at June's Auburn swap meet. They were priced according to condition, but many of them were under a hundred bucks, in pretty good shape. Layden Butler recently offered a small stack of them for similar price for all. If I recall correctly, it was about five and a half narrow nose pans for about $400 for all. Lately, a bunch of them have been surfacing, and the prices seem to have dropped considerably. I have seen several others at the Auburn swap meet or advertised at similar prices.
That should give you a general idea what they may be worth, at least in Califunny at this time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic