C. Harold Wills - Zimmer Tour

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

C. Harold Wills - Zimmer Tour

Post by Oldav8tor » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:51 am

A little off topic but in case you wondered what happened to Harold Wills (Henry's chief designer of the Model T) after he left Ford in 1919, he went to what is now Marysville, Michigan, and founded the Wills-Ste. Clair car company. This past Sunday a small number of members of the Casual T's followed Brian & Kelly Dowell on the Jack Zimmer Memorial Tour and made a coffee stop at the Wills Ste. Claire museum. They have 18 of the surviving 80 cars that Wills built and the museum, while modest, is worth a visit if you are in the area. We heard a talk from Harold's granddaughter who told us a bit about her grandfather that may not have found it's way into the history books. The weather was great and a good time was had by all.
IMG_0810.jpg
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Re: C. Harold Wills - Zimmer Tour

Post by RustyFords » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:37 pm

It seems there's something about the Wills people. Could be the genetic code...or otherwise.

My grandmother was a Wills. Her first cousin was Bob Wills. All of her siblings were extraordinary in one way or another. They were all extremely bright, but that's not really what set them apart to me. The real treasure about these folks was their almost other-worldly kindness, compassion and generosity. I'm not exagerating when I say that I've never met any other people like them. They mixed the aforementioned attributes with integrity and a love of laughter, smiles, family and music.

When the last of them passed (my grandmother's baby brother RJ) about a decade ago, a hole was left in the world that I'm not sure can ever be filled.

I've always wondered if my Wills clan was kin to Harold's. I'll do some research and find out.

I'm 1/4 Wills and often think I'm about 1/4 of what those brothers and sisters were. I could fill a book with stories about them and the extraordinary things they did.
1924 Touring

Topic author
Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: C. Harold Wills - Zimmer Tour

Post by Oldav8tor » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:42 pm

If you want to know more about Wills, the museum recently published what they claim is the only book on the man. https://www.willsautomuseum.org/newbookonchwills.htm

In addition, if you contact the museum they could put you in contact with Wills two granddaughters who are volunteers there.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic