Another cause of misfiring on hard pull

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Another cause of misfiring on hard pull

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:00 pm

Ever since I rebuilt my engine, I have had a problem with climbing steep hills. The car (26 with cowl tank) would sputter like it was running out of gas. This was especially noticeable with low RPM such as right after shifting gears, whenever I opened the throttle. If I backed off on the gas, it would run better. I have tried adjusting the float level and the mixture, with no avail. I replaced spark plugs , no relief.
A number of years ago, I had received a "high volume intake manifold as a door prize on one of our tours, and when I rebuilt the engine I had installed it.
Today I installed a stock intake manifold and took the car out on several hills. I could climb a hill in high which formerly needed Ruckstell. It runs smoother at all speeds and idles better.
This is what I think my problem was. I had a stock engine and exhaust system which would create low vacuum when the throttle was opened. This was similar to pursing the lips and blowing out VS blowing out with lips open. The volume of air was higher, but the speed was slowed down. With the open throttle, there was simply not enough vacuum to suck in the gas! This would have been no problem if I had a modified engine with higher compression, higher valve lift or longer valve duration. And a dual exhaust, all of which would have increased airflow.
Anyway, for those who are experiencing this same problem, this might be the answer.
Norm

Doug Keppler
First Name: Douglas
Last Name: Keppler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 49716
Board Member Since: 2016

Re: Another cause of misfiring on hard pull

Post by Doug Keppler » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:45 pm

Or install a fuel pump Norm ;)
1924 Touring car
There's No Substitute for Proper Lubrication

Topic author
Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:15 pm

A fuel pump is not necessary. The tank is high under the cowl. I have another 26 and can climb a hill about 10% grade in low Ruckstell. The change in manifold fixed the problem. The problem is not getting fuel to the carburetor, but it is getting enough vacuum to suck it into the manifold with an open throttle. No problem anymore. This car runs just like the other one now.
Norm

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:21 pm

Glad you got it fixed Norm ! :D

However the high flow intake is an early design if I’m not mistaken.
I would be more inclined to think you possibly had a gasket leaking.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:44 pm

Norm

Good work to find the cause of poor power.

As for the repro high volume, found something similar when installed one of those, had it powder coated red for flash. But found later the aluminum casting is oversize too at the ports, and my issue was seating of the gasket at the upper side, hard to know the intake wasn't seated well.

So after this photo, removed the aluminum high volume, and ground a flat at the top of the upper exterior of the ports, where it was slightly impinging on the repro exhaust manifold and allowed leaks. That fixed it. Don't have photo of the part ground off, but just something else that may have been going on with yours.
close up manifold.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:35 pm

I don't think I want to speculate too much on this one. I have never had one of the high-volume intake manifolds to play with.
However, I have known several people that weren't all that happy with the high volume intakes. While they do seem to give some improvement on the high speed end, quite a few people have had low speed issues. Whether it was strictly due to the slower air flow at low end not vaporizing enough fuel? Or leaks because the manifold didn't seat properly? I just don't know.
I do suspect that different models of carburetors would likely suffer different amounts of deleterious effects from the reduced airflow.
One could possibly adjust the fuel mixture to compensate for the reduced airflow. But having to do so every time one changes from uphill to downhill to level and back to uphill or idling at a stop would be a p i t a.

Topic author
Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:05 am

On this car I have only used a Holly NH and over the years tried different float levels. Yesterday when I replaced the manifold, The copper 0 gaskets were very well compressed. so I don't think I had a vacuum leak. It ran very smoothly at idle or when going high rpm on level. It was slow starting in low and after shift to high. The farther I pulled the throttle, the more it misfired.

I left the exhaust in place by rotating the front and back clamp so it would hold the exhaust and removed the center two clamps. I took out the bolts holding the carburetor and left the carb and all fittings and rods in place. Then I placed the standard intake manifold with new 0 gaskets and tightened everything up. It started right up and with about 1/8 turn of the richness adjustment ran smoothly at all speeds and all throttle openings including pulling hills.

It might have been different with dual exhaust and other modifications to the engine, so I won't criticize the manifold, just didn't work very good in this application. This engine is completely stock including cylinders sleeved back to standard.
Norm

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:33 am

While I have never used the aluminum high volume intake, but I did try an original type aluminum one which has somewhat larger inside passages over the cast iron type. I was never really happy with the performance on a stock engine (see note*) even after trying several different carbs. I wonder if it had to do with the type of carb used with them originally; Holley H, G or Kingston 4 ball and how fuel was supplied by those carbs. I know some could argue that theirs run fine with later carbs, could be what they expected and how they drove the car, but my seat of the pants OP says different. Mine came off and I went back to stock intake which is what (in my OP)most T type bolt on carbs (aftermarket or stock) were designed to work with unless they came with their own intake manifold. After I installed the stock intake, performance was back up. If you look at, for example, the Zenith setup, the runners on it are rather small. I tried one with a Stromberg OE-1, varoom!! So maybe there is something to be said about the vacuum inside the smaller passages working better with the stock T' engine.
*My engine in these cases had a touring grind cam and 6-1/2 degree advance timing gear with stock head, valves and pistons.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

rofirestone
First Name: Roy
Last Name: Stone
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring--1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 23830
MTFCI Number: 18986

Post by rofirestone » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:40 pm

I had to do same as Dan did on mine. On another one it leaked about 3 inches up the leg with many minute holes in a 2 " area, couldn't see them but I could feel the gasoline , covered area with epoxy & still running.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic