Driving a speedster a long way - how do u prepare and what do u take with

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Driving a speedster a long way - how do u prepare and what do u take with

Post by DHort » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:17 am

Just thinking if taking a trip next year. No chase vehicle or modern iron. What do you pack and where do you stash it?

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Driving a speedster a long way - how do u prepare and what do u take with

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:09 am

Been too long since I have done such a thing. These days, the most important thing is a cell phone. Be aware, there are a LOT of places it will NOT work (in spite of all the bragging by cell phone "service" providers). A long list of people you know, even if only through hobby forums. Good club rosters can be nice, but a printout of chosen names and numbers is smaller and easier to stash in limited carrying space. A triple-A 200 mile tow plan card. And a big bottle of sun-block. These things are mostly for peace of mind so that you can enjoy the trip without worrying about every strange noise or vibration in the car, or that nasty sunburn on your nose!
I used to carry a spare carburetor, not really sure why, I never had a problem with one I couldn't fix on the road. About a gallon of water, a couple quarts of oil (enough to get to the next town if you lose a plug). A word of advice rarely ever given that can save your --- in a pinch. Everybody knows that water in your oil is a bad sign, and really bad for bearings. However, in a pinch, a 50/50 mix of water and oil actually lubricates quite well, and if driven only 50 to maybe 100 miles and changed immediately? It likely will not do serious damage.
A spare coil if you use timer and coils is sometimes a good idea. However, if you have a good set of well rebuilt coils, the likelihood of needing one is small. And a model T can be driven a long way on three cylinders as long as you don't push it hard (find the vibration sweet spot). A spare tire is nice, tube and patch kit if a spare tire isn't easily carried (and actually a good idea in addition to a spare tire).
Basic tools, nothing really special. I always like to carry a couple (even three) modern worm drive hose clamps. Be sure they all fit together so they can be used to hold larger items like exhaust pipes. I have held many odd things together with that style hose clamps, including exhaust pipes. The funny thing is, I usually use them on somebody else's car when they have a problem. I also carry a small can of nuts, bolts, washers, in common T sizes. They do tend to shake loose on a T.
A fire extinguisher is always wise (again, I don't think I have ever used one on MY car!). I also like to carry an old bath towel. It can also be used to extinguish fires (been there, done that, a few times, always someone else's car!). That old bath towel is also great as a knee pad, emergency sling or splint, small blanket over your shoulders if you get caught out in the cold, and something to sit on if you find yourself at a beach or dirty picnic table.
I can't offhand think of anything much else other than your personal needs, a change of clothes (any sink with water will be your friend!).

Get out there, drive carefully, relax, and enjoy the journey!

I expect Steve J will have some wonderful suggestions. Might not be till the morrow at this hour?

Somehow, I have GOT to get back to doing such things!

Mindless Automaton
First Name: Kep
Last Name: Kerensky
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 truck, 26 bug
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Mindless Automaton » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:10 am

Prepare by changing oil a week or so before hand. Time to find leaks ect.
Carry wire. Spare timer and or coil. Electrical tape, duct tape. Small jar of tree gum or a bottle of gasket shellac. Small bag of spanners, screwdrivers pliers and a broken piece of hacksaw blade.
Bonus if you carry a spool of solder and a gas lighter or mini pencil torch.
Oh, and maybe a tire tube.
Most of that fits under the seat.

Tmodelt
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Wynn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Roadster & 1927 Speedster

Post by Tmodelt » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:54 am

My thought would be to plan your route and then find fellow T people along the route as emergency contacts for any BIG problem that you may encounter that can't be fixed under a tree. Don't forget your cell phone.

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:41 am

Took the wife on a 2 week road trip in the speedster years ago (before kids). We, along with several other couples, loaded our T and A’s onto a transport truck and shipped our cars to upstate NY (from CA). We flew out, and drove progressively from Syracuse, along the Hudson River, and back in a large loop. Was a GREAT trip!!

We had a lot of rain while we were there, and our cars had even more wet weather during the transport trip. Made for a lot of electrical issues, but nothing time and a little sandpaper couldn’t fix. I had a hydraulic brake line fail, and drove the last few days with the line crimped off and only 3 wheel brakes. One of the A’s had the rear end fail (broken axle or pinion... can’t remember).

As for luggage, I made a special bag with carry handles that looped over the filler neck, and had lower clips to secure to the tank straps. Just big enough to hold 2 days clothes! Worked like a charm, but wasn’t waterproof... and the tailpipe dumped right next to it, so we smelled like exhaust the whole trip.

Take a car you trust, a few small tools, and your AAA card! And have fun!!
5EFA39AF-F78B-47BA-B3DA-6F76760BF5D7.jpeg

art32mor
First Name: Art
Last Name: Morra
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24T Touring
MTFCI Number: 14286

Post by art32mor » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:56 pm

Agree with Kevin P couple change of cloths AAA ot other roadside assust club
Basic tool set jack tire tools 2 tubes 2 coils if you using them
Cell phone
Basic first aid kit
Fas and oil water
Depending where rain gear
Who yses a support vehical gonout in desert often alone
But not dure i do bbn it much longer alone as getting older

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:04 pm

This is a little more than a double edge sword. First a Model T really was not built for endurance, second reliability is so, so, but better than most. You have to consider in the day, parts for them where available at just about every general store, gas station, or a dead one in a ranchers field. Parts were everywhere. As my dear Dad tells me, "it seem as if they were breeding on the shelf". Now days, just the opposite applies so if you do not wish to use as put "modern iron", be prepared, as Murphy's Law has a contract with our club and others. Endurance with reliability in my opinion and opinion only, comes with product improvements here and there. But the experience of breaking down on the side of the road does have it's own rewards of the good in people and making new friends. To each there own.

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Joe Reid
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Reid
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Coupe, 1920 Roadster, 1923 Touring, 1924 Roadster, 1913 Racer
MTFCA Number: 52067
MTFCI Number: 22088
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Joe Reid » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:15 pm

Be sure to build it with a trunk!
Attachments
A3DC0BE1-C569-4525-A880-204B091210D7.jpeg

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:19 pm

Don't forget to take us with you. I agree with Kim - post your route. I'm certain that you would get some feedback of interesting places to see along the way and if you needed any help someone might be nearby to give a hand (part) to get you going. Like Hank eluded to, there aren't many places left where you could get a part.
Let the Ford be with you. Always!
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Gib163
First Name: Jeremy
Last Name: Gibson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 speedster
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Gib163 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:42 am

I used to do a lot of miles in my speedster, sometimes across different countrys. This was my tool kit. https://imgur.com/gallery/5WqWvX7

Best thing I ever did was to make my own tool roll,I could grab it in a hurry and roll out all my tools to see. All my spares and bits that wouldn’t fit in the roll got shoved in a bag. Then I took a photo of everything so I could look back and see what I had put in.

I also sunk the boot box below the axel so I could get more in.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:31 am

Air. Last year I drove 3000+ miles with no tire incidents. This year I was not so lucky. Having a flat near Mottville MI I was annoyed to have a flat but didn't think it a big problem. A few years ago I bought a foot pump to carry in the car. A couple of years ago I had to use it, and it worked well. Not this time. It would pump a tire up to about 40 psi and no higher. That's not good enough for clinchers. I was very lucky that a local guy saw me and stopped to see what the problem was. He lived just a mile down the road, and brought a bubble with 100 pounds of sailboat fuel to blow up my tire. I'm not counting on being that lucky again. I'm looking into an old time spark plug hole compressor. I've read that they're not made for cars anymore due to some problem with catalytic converters, but they're still sold for motorcycles. I aim to pursue that possibility sometime after Hershey.

A few other things I carry and have had to use:
bulbs for all lights; three sizes of cotter pins; common sizes of nuts & bolts; exhaust nut wrench; headlight rim tool; spark plugs (two sets); running board gas cans; oil; grease; water; can & brush for washing parts (most T's have a solvent dispenser on the bottom of the carburetor); Model T tools (jack, 2335 wrench, 1349 wrench); box of generic tools (wrenches, sockets, pliers, baling wire, breaker bar, screwdrivers, etc.); tire irons (NOT Ford*); tarp straps; ball bungees; Rainex; paper towels; chair; big tarp.

*Changing a clincher with Ford tire irons is the job from Hell. I carry three HF irons that are two feet long and make it much easier.

There may be some items I've forgotten, but everything listed here is something I've used while traveling.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Ruxstel24
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:37 pm

This tank would work well.
I use it mainly in my house garage where I don’t have air. I took the original hose off and added a little longer piece of regular air hose with a quick disconnect so I can put an air gun on it or whatever.
Attachments
E74F7E1F-47B8-452A-B9E0-44B06F0E094A.jpeg
052AB269-8E39-4A0E-83EB-A8109235D1A3.jpeg

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:08 pm

Looks like you're going to need one of these too ...
T1.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by babychadwick » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:02 pm

As some here may know I have logged thousands of miles in a speedster never having a chase vehicle (endurance runs excluded). Amazing repairs can be conducted on the side of the road if you have the ability to improvise. It helps to know what this speedster you would be driving is. Are we talking something "hot" that will run at 60 or something more stock that you will be running around 40?

Tool kit
various nuts and bolts
bailing wire
jb weld
lots of rags
bars leak
fluids
if a dist spare points coil etc

For comfort a big yeti type thermos filled with ice water, I like the large cheap walmart version.
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

Topic author
DHort
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:33 pm

Chad, here is a photo. 40 mph is fine with me.
_DSC6336.jpg
It doesn't carry as much stuff as a touring does, what with tent, suitcase, etc.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:42 am

Dont foget the rain gear and goggles!

babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by babychadwick » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:09 am

Ahh you have tons of room, a buddy and I drove my speedster into Yosemite for Christmas. Yes, it was a bit cold. We had suitcases tied onto the back.
Attachments
highschool.jpg
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic