Fix for rear axle low growl

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Fix for rear axle low growl

Post by DanTreace » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:02 pm

Posted earlier on the low growl, that likely happen when the pinion gear moved from the modern bearing set-up, upsetting the ring and pinion mesh, leading to my noisy axle that was always rather quiet. Fixed that with re-setting the pre-load and secured that set-screw locking collar, adding a smear of LockTite 640 Sleeve Retainer under that collar, to give more security.

Then fitted the tube to the drive shaft , after installing a new bronze front bushing, replacing the damaged needle bearing thingy.

Following Glen Chaffin's advice, reamed the face of the new bushing to have only a few thousands clearance to the face of the u-joint, to maintain that important thrust surface if needed. Bought the vendor face reamer, but that is a nice sharp tool, but difficult for me to face off much, has tiny handles, and likely the tool cutter was patterned off a old reamer, made for babbitt bushing. So.....used the hint that Steve Jelf posted a few years ago, using a disc of sandpaper to sand down the face to get to tolerance!
grinding bush.jpg
Tool made from a hard woven cutoff blade, made to the diameter by running the disc on the elec. drill, with the edge of the cutoff blade on the running wheel of the bench grinder, shaving the dia. of the blade down to the o.d. of the bushing face.
ujoint rivet hole.jpg
Reamed and sanded the face until the rivet pin for the u-joint slipped in with ease.
ujoint face.jpg
A few more trial fits, taking out the drive shaft each time, now with some Prussian Blue on the u-joint face, sanded and reamed away more a bit at a time, until no more blue ink smear on the face of the front bushing.
front bushing.jpg
Now with the driveshaft done, the modern pinion set-up correct, and u-joint pinned, installed the drive shaft with more Prussian blue on a pinion tooth, and rotated to test ring and pinion mesh. First without gasket, then with paper gaskets, got a nice satisfactory contact of tooth on tooth. Good enough.
Now for swinging that rear axle up on the engine, and hang it from the rear spring, ready to road test without some low axle growl at road speed ;)
pinion assembled.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Fix for rear axle low growl

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:26 pm

Looking good!

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:52 pm

Way to go Dan!!!!

Hank

Alan Long
First Name: Alan
Last Name: Long
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Canadian Touring Car and 1926 Australian built Utility

Post by Alan Long » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:17 am

Dan,
You have taken the same route as I did. Even though the new Pinion Bearing set up eliminates the need for
the front Bush thrust face to contact the universal joint I set it up as per the original design with zero end float /
Zero preload. My reasoning was that in the unlikely event the locking collar came adrift you could still rely on
the bush thrust face to prevent the Pinion being drawn deeper into mesh with the crown wheel on de acceleration
I call it the “belt and braces” approach!
Alan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic