Rim lock help

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
70shovelhead
First Name: Preston
Last Name: Wells
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Runabout, 1926 TT Truck
Board Member Since: 2008

Rim lock help

Post by 70shovelhead » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:27 am

Is this rim lock supposed to be attached permanently to the rim. Ive spent 3 days trying to get the tire mounted and no success. I am using a spreader as pictured but the rim wants to twist and will not align as it should. Words of wisdom welcomed.

0928191023.jpg
Attachments
15696808254236779235298657182032.jpg
70shovelhead

"There is more to life than what we see"

1923 T Roadster
1926 TT Truck
1948 Willys Pickup
1937 Harley WL45
1919 IHC Titan 10-20

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Rim lock help

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:41 am

Yes that loose piece was made part of the rim, riveted or welded in place. Some rims no matter what you try, are sprung. Sometimes, if you can get the tire on and latched it will be ok once you get it on the wheel and inflated.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:42 am

Mark makes a very good point regarding split rims - I only air a split-rim up to 10-12 lbs. prior to actually mounting it onto the wheel & bolting it up, then air it up to 32 lbs. or whichever pressure you desire.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:45 am

Those 21 inch model T split rims are made of fairly soft steel. They get warped easily by misuse of rim spreaders, tire irons, and other pressures applied for a variety of reasons. The flip side of that, is that they are not difficult to straighten. I draw an appropriately sized circle on cardboard, it makes it easier to see where the tweaks are needed. I use the tongue of my trailer as a solid point and fulcrum to carefully push the rim back toward round. They are usually not hard to get really close to right.

The piece of the rim clip/lock is supposed to be permanently attached. Two rectangular bumps on the one side of the piece should fit into two rectangular holes on one end of the round rim. Originally, these were neither riveted or welded into place. They were put into place and the rectangular "bumps" were staked (hammered, punched, sort of like a rivet?) on the tube side of the rim. That was all that held them in place. Once they work loose, and fall off, the easy fix is to weld (or braze) the clip in place. Sometimes a little grinding is necessary to fit it into place. Once everything is together properly, the tire mounted and rim expanded and snapped in place, the little lever/handle on the other end of the circular rim can be turned (doesn't move much!) to safety lock the clip and hold it until aired up and mounted on the wheel.
Steve T's suggestion to only air up to 10 to 12 psi until mounted on the wheel is a good idea. At least until you are more familiar with these things, and know that particular rim will hold like it is supposed to. As I said, these rims are a bit soft. And even if they look really straight? Sometimes they can still be tweaked just enough to snap apart when they are not supposed to.
Now, these are NOT the potentially deadly dangerous other kind of "split rims" that horror stories are told about. However, some care should be taken with any old rims and higher pressures. Unfortunately, the language over the years has confused the two totally different types of "split" rims. The other type should be more correctly referred to as "split ring" or "removable ring" rims.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic