How to stop gas seeping from the sediment bowl?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

How to stop gas seeping from the sediment bowl?

Post by Sarikatime » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:31 pm

I have been fighting with the sediment bowl for a week now. Rebuilt and sandblasted the body, new pet cock, new gasket and filter mesh, reground smooth the on off valve and installed everything with fuel resistant ez turn lubricant and it still leaks. The wife is angry because of the gasoline smell and gives me grief. Are the new sediment bowls that the parts suppliers are selling any better? Frank

Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Re: How to stop gas seeping from the sediment bowl?

Post by Mark Osterman » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:04 pm

You mean she doesn’t mind the oil leaks? 😀

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:25 pm

Have you determined he source of the weep ? I give the bulb lever a slight "kiss" with a small tack hammer - usually remedies that area BUT the small drain petcock can also be a source of a drip - usually the same drill will remedy that also.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:18 pm

I've fought this battle too ! It took a while to find all of the pieces of the puzzle. I'm guessing my problem was same as yours, Steve: seepage kept the "spud" damp (and smelly) with gasoline, never quite leaking enough even to cause a drip.
I removed the "spud" and gave the valve a good working over with increasingly finer abrasives until it was at a high polish. Same for the little petcock, then I assembled the valve pieces with an application of fuel valve lubricant. I used fuel-resistant permatex on the drain cock threads and the the gas tank fitting. I still had seepage, the "spud" stayed damp. Very frustrating ! Finally I realized the flange of the female fitting soldered into the gas tank was also a source of seeping. I was loath to remove the tank to re-solder the connection. NAPA guy pointed me to a clear "fuel-safe" sealant that resembles old-time "DUCO" glue. Cleaning the flange and smearing the "DUCO" goop on it finally stopped the seeping and the odor. Not a "permanent" fix, but it's working. I understand the valves will need to be doped with the lubricant again in time. Don't overlook the pack-nut on the fuel line. It's amazing how capillary attraction can spread the tiniest amount of gasoline over a wide area, fooling you as to the source of a leak. Hope this helps.
"Get a horse !"

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Moxie26 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:44 pm

Do you have seepage through the metal itself......or just at the gasketed areas?

TRDxB2
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:43 pm

If its the valve cone (main or petcock) EZTurn is recommended - sold by Lang's and others
Attachments
ezturnlube.jpg
ezturnlube.jpg (23.17 KiB) Viewed 2932 times
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
Sarikatime
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:57 pm

I did as all of you suggested and even used EZ lube as I stated but no cigar. I finally broke down and ordered a brand new sediment bowl and petcock. Two days of crawling back and forth under the car, gas all over my arms, the wife angry all hell and still ended up spending a $100.00 to make the gas smell go away. Thank you everyone. Frank

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:58 pm

Years ago, after lapping/polishing the sediment bulb valve, I used bar soap on the valve.

It seals and lubricates and is not affected by gasoline.

No problems so far.

My father has done the same thing in the past on his Model T.

Bar soap is an old trick and everybody has a least one bar of soap in the house.......

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic