Scandinavia bands improvement?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Scandinavia bands improvement?

Post by John kuehn » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:40 pm

I was looking at the pics of the Scandinavia bands on Lang’s website and noticed that there didn’t seem to be as dark with the tarry substance as they were a few years ago. I have Kevlar in my 24 Coupe and have been thinking of replacing the cotton bands in my 19 Runabout so I know about Kevlar.
Just wondering if they have improved the Scandinavia bands as far a the tarry dark substance they use to put on them. Thanks for any info abt them.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Re: Scandinavia bands improvement?

Post by Original Smith » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:58 pm

Scandanavia bands can not be improved from what they were in the 1950's and 60's. I have purchased enough of the original lining to last me until I die. I've never been able to figure out why they changed it, which is typical of things in this hobby. What was good is still good. Don't change it!

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:05 am

I would also like to know if the new scandianavia bands have stopped using the dark material that is not as good as the original.

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Post by Joe Bell » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:52 am

I have a transmission to repair with a blued low speed drum that got hot and cracked from the kevlar, I do like my old cotton bands!

Topic author
John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:32 am

As I remember the original Scandinavia linings had a tighter and finer weave than their later ones. That was what made them better than the later ones. And looking at the other older brands such as Wards and a few others they were woven tighter also. I have some of those and 1 original Scandinavia lining and the weave is almost identical.
But when I noticed in the pic on Lang’s website of the Scandinavia bands they weren’t as dark or tarry looking as the newer ones they were making. So maybe they are making them now without the dark substance on them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic