New Tool

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

New Tool

Post by MKossor » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:16 pm

New innovative tool makes coil adjusting faster and easier. Sorry, New Forum Gag rule forbids me from describing merits of the new tool or posting photos of it. Folks attending Hershey can see it up close and use it at Chocolate field space C2A 61

Forum participants visiting will also have the opportunity to sign the petition respectfully requesting the developer gag rule be rescinded so Model T product developers can once again openly discuss the merits of their creations, theory of operation and answer application questions here on the Discussion Forum including photos and illustrations. The petition excludes a ban on marketing; ( i.e. No discussions of pricing, sales, special offers, deals, payment, terms, etc.) on the Discussion Forum.

Folks not attending Hershey have to PM or email me at mictel@comcast.net if you are interested in learning about the new tool.
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Re: New Tool

Post by Mark Nunn » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:17 pm

I will not be attending Hershey.
However, Mike, I would like to see if I can electronically sign the petition.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:54 pm

Mike

good luck with your tool at Hershey and beyond.

You caused me to peruse the rules and I believe that the rule you may be referring to is:

No business advertisements or lengthy descriptions of your product or services

It seems to me that No Business Advertisements means you may not say: SHOP AT MIKES FOR LABOR DAY SPECIALS, XXX Road, XXX City, Your State, or to state that: My Product will cure warts, corns, callus', lumbago, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, etc. taking the entire page to post.

I don't believe that you cannot say, "Gee, I've developed this great tool, to do 'X' much better and quicker than ever before. Please contact me via email for details".

Perhaps I am mistaken.

For sure, I do not want to see the forum filled with 1 page ads for this or that, and then some Goof starts bumping "ttt".

I think an excellent thing for you to do to drum up support for a petition is to go to O/T Forum and spell out exactly what you CANNOT do right now, and why it will benefit the hobby to be ABLE to do so...You might get my support! But for now, I do not know what your limitation is.

Why don't I find any mention of this tool in the PARTS Forum?
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
MKossor

Post by MKossor » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:17 pm

Mark, thanks. email sent.

Scott, thanks for the well wishes. Always try to make the trip to Hershey a little more interesting with new things.

Yes, that is what I call the Forum Gag rule that suppresses the open exchange of information by product developers. The rule came about because some folks specifically objected to me posting product photos, illustrations, test data, discussing merits of use, theory of operation, or answering application questions as "Free Advertising" even though I never stated people should buy my projects and avoided discussing price, special deals, terms, conditions or other marketing details commonly associate with Advertising on the Discussion Forum. That, of course, is their Opinion and entitled to it but believe it was only a very small minority. I believe the vast majority of discussion forum participants disagree. There were many educational technical discussions prior to the Gag rule, providing readers the opportunity to expand their knowledge about the Model T ignition system and details necessary to help them get it to perform well, how coils worked, are tuned, common defects, Magneto operation, Timer function, limitations and considerations they would not classify as Advertising and should be allowed; especially by subject matter experts who developed Model T products willing to share their knowledge and expertise with the forum. That is the purpose of the petition.

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:17 am

Mike: Is it not permissible to use this part of the forum to direct the reader to a website where you do have the commercial information available? And why is it not allowed to post a note here indicating you have a product available in the classifieds? See you in Hershey, jb

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by StanHowe » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:52 am

I've been on this forum since almost the day it began twenty years ago and I have yet to see any problems with people posting about their business or products unless it is blatent advertising that goes on and on.
Most agregious to me are the ones that are a set up where somebody posts their new product, their friends immediately post a glowing review of it, claim they were the "beta tester" and then bump it every twenty minutes.
They apparently think we are all too stupid to see that it is their plan in action.
Those people then pout and flounce off in a snit if somebody calls them on it. Vow they will take their football and go home, never save the world with their product and will never post anything on here again. Then their friends post and post and post and post begging them not to leave, to stay and save the world, come back and enlighten the poor unwashed heathen about their product that is going to save the world.

I believe that is what they are trying to address, not a post that says, "I have a new design for a (insert product here) that I believe will help solve the problem of (insert problem here). Please visit my website for more information.

BTW. I have several college degrees and taught grade school for 17 years, mostly 5th grade. So I am well acquainted with flouncing off in a snit and pouting behavior. I think everybody gets pretty tired of it and wishes the kid would just grow up.

I got my first Model T in 1954, am getting pretty close to 80 and have been in the auction business for almost 40 years.
I've seen a lot of people flounce off in a snit. Most are not missed.

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659

Post by DLodge » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:43 pm

StanHowe wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:52 am
I've seen a lot of people flounce off in a snit. Most are not missed.
Thanks, Stan.

I went off in a Huff once, but the Huffs are notorious for water pump and carburetor problems. I decided to trade it in and considered a Snit, but ended up getting a Ford instead. :D

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:52 pm

Dick

I have a product that will fix the problem with your Huff. Please visit my website.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Scott Conger

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:04 pm

My mom is going to tell the principal and you'll get kicked off the team or maybe out of school!!!

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:09 pm

Dick L. said,

"I went off in a Huff once, but the Huffs are notorious for water pump and carburetor problems. I decided to trade it in and considered a Snit, but ended up getting a Ford instead."

So what made you choose to get a Ford instead ? Did you feel like you needed more grief ? Or was it simply for the bigger challenge ?

Dick F.

Ralph F
First Name: Ralph
Last Name: Fitz-Gerald

Post by Ralph F » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:33 pm

I look forward to see new tools, and methods to keeping these old fords on the road.

Topic author
MKossor

Post by MKossor » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:45 pm

Interesting common theme emerging with the few who support the Gag Rule; senior members who don't like sharing the forum lime light and resort to belittling personal attacks on posts that attract more attention than theirs then sometimes attempt to rationalize their behavior touting their intellect.

Otherwise uninterested readers simply skip the thread rather than go off advocating the posts be banned depriving others of useful and valued information to them.

Stan,

Beta testing is a useful and important part of the development cycle that provided the opportunity for many to learn and participate in the development phase. The first hand performance reporting and praise was earned by unassociated users not fabricated by "friends" as you suggest. They deserve respect for their willingness to risk trying something new, providing feedback and sharing their honest experience with other Model T enthusiasts here. I believe you, Sir, owe a lot of good folks here a sincere apology.

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:13 pm

I don't support a ban on anything.

You can read anything you want into anything you want but I think everybody is tired of the tiraids.

Develop a website, post your products on here with a referral to it and get over it.

Or just flounce off in another snit.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:02 pm

A bit confused by this discussion about a Ban on Marketing. The definition of marketing "the action or business of promoting and selling products or services, including market research and advertising". So isn't that what people are doing in the "Classifieds". So is it Okay to do it there but not in the General Forum?
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:15 pm

Develop a website, post your products on here with a referral to it and get over it.
Is that not advertising? Is that not banned?

I do miss discussions of 'new products' and information - both positive and negative. Helps keep me 'edumacated' and 'up ta date'.
Such discussion cannot possibly hurt the hobby, banning it certainly will not advance the hobby.

I do NOT miss the petty 'no its not' - 'you are wrong' - 'its rubbish' - 'your gas miles will be trebled'

A policy that clearly allows advertising such as: "Develop a website, post your products on here with a referral to it and get over it." would not be amiss.

Sparknwire
First Name: RJ
Last Name: Lucyszyn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Speedster

Post by Sparknwire » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:27 pm

This forum is getting boring with all these senior stubborn rules if you can’t promote a tool or procedure to make it easier on this forum without someone who the same person constantly criticizes it all the time
Attachments
C0E2F19A-6420-438C-A89A-795F819367FF.jpeg
C0E2F19A-6420-438C-A89A-795F819367FF.jpeg (41.46 KiB) Viewed 9536 times

Wilbur
First Name: Wilbur
Last Name: Swearingin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Runabout 1923 Coupe 1924 Tudor 1926 Pickup
MTFCA Number: 24971
MTFCI Number: 20989

Post by Wilbur » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:30 pm

Maybe a vendor forum dedicated to advertising and promoting vendor products would make it easier to find tools, equipment and parts. Infomercials in my opinion don’t belong on the discussion forum but in a dedicated advertising forum would be helpful to those seeking those parts and or tools.

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:42 pm

Scott Conger

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32

Post by TonyB » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:45 pm

For what it’s worth I add my vote to eliminating the well meaning but quite unnecessary ban.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:51 pm

Mike; Get a website & post it here. You need one. Especially if you're going to keep developing new projects. Either that or tie in with one of the major parts sellers & advertize there.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Dan B
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Dan B » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:02 pm

I think he already has one.

Modeltetimer.com
1923 Touring

AZTerry
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Loftus
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 7379

Post by AZTerry » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:55 am

Hello Mike,

I am very interested in your new product based on your description and am very aware of your website.
I have also viewed many of the other technical information video's you have posted on the web.
I have to ask why and am very disappointed that I can find NO information about your new product on your website.
I am NOT going to go to Hersey to see your new product.
Please put information about it on your website were members can find it easily.
I am also a fan of you being able to provide a direct link to the information on your wed site on this forum.

Thank you,
Terry

Topic author
MKossor

Post by MKossor » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:44 am

Thanks for the interest in the new tool. I will post a website link in accordance with the rules as soon as I get back from Hershey. It really is a New tool having just received the first run a few days ago and had no time to prepare and upload the information getting ready for the trip to Hershey.

Website links are great but no substitute for the open exchange of thoughts, experiences and suggestions as they pertain to a new product. This is a Model T Discussion Forum where up until recently, developers could openly disclose and discuss their creations or ideas. Get real time feedback on performance, likes and dislikes, challenges, limitations and problems to aid in refining and improving performance. This all ended abruptly because a few participants viewed such discussions as "Free Advertising" and disturbed by the frequency of discussion, illustrative photos, all the attention it was getting and voiced their objections advocating the Gag Rule be established to put an end to it once and for all. Simple question, What harm was done to whom? He is constantly posting photos of his products! explaining how they work! He's answering application questions! This has to STOP! Why? I placed paid advertisements in Vintage Ford magazine to separate the product marketing from forum performance and operation discussions. There is a real simple solution if a discussion thread is upsetting someone, SKIP THE THREAD and move on to the next one! Why deprive ALL other forum participants of the opportunity to learn and engage in discussions of interest because it upsets a few that deem it objectionable and want it suppressed from you reading about it here on the Discussion Forum?

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032

Post by George Mills » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:05 am

Aw...come on...I have a real difficult time myself when this place turns from lively debate and consensus to please oh please let’s take sides...

I won’t harp as this thing is probably headed to admin delete which starts a whole new hiccup.

I think I’m a reasonable guy...

I don’t see “banned” in the terms of service as approved and implemented by the clubs Board of Directors...
C2BA8408-D387-426C-804C-106CCB90AE66.jpeg
C2BA8408-D387-426C-804C-106CCB90AE66.jpeg (51.89 KiB) Viewed 9277 times
But I can see that it means you just might be scolded for continued violated...be temporarily banned as an individual as a fair warning for violations...and even be permanently banned if actions continue in “up your nose Board” way.

This place is for fun guys...I’ve been here since the beginning...had online disagreements with quite a few over the years but here’s a hint...whoever it was, whenever it was, we always tipped our hats to one another when the dust settled and MOVED ALONG everyone the better for it.

(Stepping off pulpit)

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:08 pm

George Maybe you can be the bookee that takes the bets on how long before this post is deleted.

I have no problem with discussions on this board that can get a bit heated. I just pass over them. No one is yelling or screaming. A couple of friends start to complain to the guys at the top and they pull the post. Lots of us are reading it and all of a sudden it is gone. Unfortunately it proves that those of us at the bottom have no say.

Now to keep this Ford related. I wish I could go to Hershey. It is a long way for me despite the two trips I made this summer. I am sure there is a lot to see at Hershey, and it is on my bucket list. Instead, I rely on Dean, Seamus, and Steve to post what they are experiencing. I wish I could be there to meet Mike Kosser in person. He has done a lot for those of us with Model T's.

I can still discuss Model T items with Royce on the facebook page. I miss Seth.

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407

Post by Moxie26 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:32 pm

Sparknwire wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:27 pm
This forum is getting boring with all these senior stubborn rules if you can’t promote a tool or procedure to make it easier on this forum without someone who the same person constantly criticizes it all the time
RJ : The three major criticizers are no longer on this Forum.... the positives shine in the quality and reliability of Mike Kossor's addition to our hobby.
...and "Thank you" for your quality contributions and authentic items.

Bob Jablonski

RustyRim
First Name: charlie
Last Name: HAECKEL
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 tudor

Post by RustyRim » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:17 pm

Thank goodness this is a private forum or the bullies pushing their products would take over and force more good , and helpful people off the forum

Larry e rutt
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Rutt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 fordor

Post by Larry e rutt » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:14 pm

For what its worth.... Mike tested and adjusted my coils at Hershey using the ecct and the "new tool".. wow what a difference, car runs better than ever..

Matt in California
First Name: Matt
Last Name: G
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1926 Fordor Project, TT C-cab flatbed farm field find, TT dump truck project
MTFCA Number: 30697

Post by Matt in California » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:23 am

Mike,
Please send me information on your tool.

Matt

John E. Guitar
First Name: John
Last Name: Guitar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1924 Tourer
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by John E. Guitar » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:13 am

One of the more senior members in the club here in NSW uses a GPO spring tension gauge to adjust his coils. These were used to adjust relays in the old telephone exchanges.

I wonder if it is something like that?

http://doc.telephonecollectors.info/dm/ ... _ocr_r.pdf

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic