High Gear

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

High Gear

Post by RustyFords » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:15 am

Ok yall....be nice. I'm a complete newb when it comes to driving my T.

Those of yall who've been following my build thread know that I had my first real day of trouble free driving in my 24 Touring, last weekend. It was simply sublime, glorious, fun, etc, etc.

However...this novice can't seem to get the hang of shifting into high gear smoothly. I'm currently winding the engine up in low, then putting the throttle all the way back up, then letting out the pedal quickly and completely, then giving more throttle.

This is resulting in the car jolting and bucking in a rather unpleasant way and I know there has to be a more smooth way to do this. And...I'm soliciting advice on the procedures yall use.

8-)
1924 Touring

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: High Gear

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:29 am

Sounds like you may be a little lean. Try about 1/4 out on the mixture and slowly pull the throttle down after the shift.
Also don’t close the throttle as much...and close it when you’re in neutral, just for a split second before high.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:49 am

You dont need to wind it up too high before shift. Get it going, back off throttle at same time you shift then increase throttle, if RPM's seem a little low after shift , retard timing until you are up in R's a bit more. It took me a few months to learn to get a smooth low to high. Its like dancing with a girl for the 1st time. Have to learn the best timing and steps. Just need more seat time.
JMHO.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:07 pm

I agree with the above. Only time you need to rev in low is when going uphill. On a small grade, you can rev in low and then shift to high. If the hill is steep, you will need to stay in low until your grade begins to level out.
When you shift from low to high, don't just pop the clutch out. move quickly from low into neutral and when you get to neutral back off the throttle. Then let the clutch out into high. Not just a pop but move for about a second, smoothly. Important thing is not to slip the clutch, but to let it out smoothly. Another thing is to be sure the parking brake lever is all the way forward. Sometimes if the brake rods are too long they will tend to push the lever back toward neutral when you shift. They should be adjusted just long enough that with the lever on the wheel all the way back, and the handle all the way forward, the clevis pins will just go in without bending the rod or pulling the rod forward.
Adding to the above, be sure your ignition system is firing on all 4. Sometimes it will miss on a hard pull, but run smoothly when not pulling hard. Or low compression in one cylinder could be the problem. Anyway, try one thing at a time, and then drive the car, try another thing and drive the car until you find the cause of the problem.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:15 pm

When I shift from low to high, I do it slowly so I can feel the change. Like Norm says, do not pop it. Once you feel it grab in high, then advance the throttle. The more you drive it the more you will get a feel for your car. Get in another one, and it will be completely different. They are not all the same.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:58 pm

If you're 1/2 way through the intersection and not in high by then, you waited too long.

That said, there are some aftermarket clutches that can be darn harsh and a real pisser to get a smooth shift out of. My dad's hack is that way and it takes a knoweldgeable experienced driver, and 1/2 day's tour practice to hit the shifts easily (only) most of the time. A stock FORD clutch rarely is problematic so long as you don't over rev low gear.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:21 pm

Speed up in low, close the throttle while releasing the pedal into neutral, wait 1 second with the transmission in neutral throttle closed, then finally release the pedal into high and give it some gas. This is how I drive a model t and you can barely feel the transmission shift.

Stephen

Topic author
RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:54 pm

Thanks for all the pointers.

I really appreciate it.
1924 Touring

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:51 am

Like Scott said. If it has modern clutch discs in it, it will chatter unless you rpms are matched.
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic