New to your forum / Is it Model T hardware?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
TestBill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Beatovich
Board Member Since: 2019

New to your forum / Is it Model T hardware?

Post by TestBill » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:13 pm

Hello Model T forum members. My name is Bill and I am new to your site. Up front, I know nothing about Model T’s so I am turning to this site for some education and insight.

My short story: When we purchased 5 acres in northern Minnesota 8 years ago, I knew there was a utility trailer somewhere in the woods. This past summer, I finally found and pulled out the trailer, only the frame was left.
image 1.jpeg
My original plan was to take it to a wrecking yard or salvage. Running out of time, I set it aside and took a few photos as it seemed rather interesting as a utility trailer frame. A little internet research has led me to believe this is part of a Model T frame with Hassler shocks, but I could be wrong. So I have attached a few pictures and solicit any feedback the members care to give. I plan to make it into a utility trailer again. While not a Model T aficionado as the members on this forum are, I would hate to do something then find out in a couple of years, “oh what a shame”.

Thanks,

Bill
image 2.JPG
image 4.JPG
image 5.JPG
image 7.JPG

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: New to your forum / Is it Model T hardware?

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:35 pm

T Ford front axle. Hastler shocks which were an accessory made for a T. Not sure about the frame and the wheels were not from a T.
Norm

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:40 pm

I marked up the parts that are Model T and recyclable/ restore-able Red corner & body brackets. Yellow cross member, corner brackets & springs. Light blue wishbone & what they may be attached to on the underside of the diamond. Purple axle & spindle ends. Hasslers too! The long frame side rails are cut down Model T. Wheels? There is good value if everything was apart and rivet holes, bolt threads etc were undamaged. AS IS its local pick-up only. Some T guys in your area may be interested.
Attachments
image 2.JPG
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:44 pm

The items of value are the hassler shocks and the wire wheel hubs. Not real up to date on the current value of the shocks but they should be worth $250-$300 for the pair. If those are wire wheel hubs they are $150 each. The entire axle, shocks, and wheel hubs may be worth more as a package deal to the right person if they are local and can pick them up. Shocks and hubs are easy to box and ship ups or usps. Not really worth any more as a complete trailer in my opinion.
Last edited by Humblej on Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:22 pm

Model T leftovers were common for building all kinds of trailers for the farm and utility use. Use to see them at farm auctions all the time. Still do but not as often.
Looks to me somebody used the front axle assembly, then used a T frame with the pipe down the middle for a tongue. Money wise worth more to sell the shocks and hardware. Shocks are the most desirable hardware on it in my opinion and would sell the fastest.
The rest would be slower. Just have to find the buyer.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:24 pm

The camera angle doesn't tell me for sure, but it looks like an early wishbone (1909-1918). The spindles are welded to the axle, so those parts are only for continued trailer use.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:29 pm

Looking at the first photo, I am seeing a definite stepped shoulder on the front hubs. That would indicate that these are wooden wheel hubs, worth far less than wire wheel hubs. If they are wire wheel hubs, they would be the most valuable part, followed by the Hasslers.

Allan from down under.

Ed Fuller
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Fuller
MTFCA Number: 29582
MTFCI Number: 22818
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Ed Fuller » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:53 pm

Yup, looks like wood wheels hubs to me too.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:19 pm

You guys are right, wood spoke hubs not wire wheel hubs.

Topic author
TestBill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Beatovich
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TestBill » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:25 am

Thank all of you for your time in looking and commenting. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and advice.

Bill

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:39 am

I've got the same wheels (F&H?) on the rear of my 24 short box pickup but the dish turned the other way.
They bolt right on and work good.
My set were trailer wheels too. A couple new tubes and your buddy's used 4X4 tires and you've got a trailer again.
Or in my case 20 years ago, rear wheels! :)
Neat trailer! I have a similar one hiding somewhere.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

walber
First Name: Walt
Last Name: Berdan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '18 Speedster had 25 touring and 26 coupe
MTFCA Number: 16421

Post by walber » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:51 pm

Nothing so rare or exciting that I would bother taking it apart. If mine, and I had a place to use it, I would put it back in service as a trailer. It's a good example of what you do when you need something and have some parts laying around. Lot's of tired Model T parts were turned into trailers, tractors, buzz saws, stationary power plants and whatever else the farmer might need. I see no harm in letting them stay true to their second purpose.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Think Walt is onto something. Perhaps there is real value in restoring this as a trailer of the times than taking it apart. And if it has wood wheel hubs maybe it would be even more valuable with wood wheels.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Dennis_Brown
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pickup
MTFCA Number: 21458

Post by Dennis_Brown » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:52 pm

The wheels look like front wheels off of a tractor that you could bolt a weight to in the 2 opposing holes.

Dennis_Brown
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pickup
MTFCA Number: 21458

Post by Dennis_Brown » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:56 pm

The wheels look like front tractor wheels that you could bolt a weight to in the 2 opposed holes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic