Runabout vs Touring ride comparison

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NealW
First Name: Neal
Last Name: Willford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1915 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50256

Runabout vs Touring ride comparison

Post by NealW » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:26 pm

Since finishing the restoration of our 15 runabout in April, I've been driving it and our 21 touring enough to start noticing differences in how they both ride. Obviously the touring has a heavier body, so I expected the lighter runabout to have a stiffer ride. You can definitely feel bumps more with the runabout, but the touring also has Hassler coil springs in the front and back.

I'm not complaining about the runabout's ride; it is a blast to drive. I'm just curious if other's have experience with and without Hassler springs to see if they make that much difference, or if the difference that I'm feeling is mainly due to the lighter body without as much weight on the rear leaf spring.

thanks,

Neal

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Re: Runabout vs Touring ride comparison

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:09 pm

It depends on a lot of different things. The hasslers certainly do make a difference, but it also depends on how many leaves you have in your springs as well as the condition of your springs. If your springs are rusty and not well lubricated it bvb will make the car ride considerably harder. I can tell a big difference when I lube my springs.

Stephen

Topic author
NealW
First Name: Neal
Last Name: Willford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1915 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50256

Re: Runabout vs Touring ride comparison

Post by NealW » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:54 pm

If your springs are rusty and not well lubricated it bvb will make the car ride considerably harder. I can tell a big difference when I lube my springs.
I can see that this would make a difference. I had our runabout springs powder coated when I was restoring it, but then put a layer of that "slip paint" that was recommended to use on leaf springs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic