Wheel adapters

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dennis_Brown
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pickup
MTFCA Number: 21458

Wheel adapters

Post by Dennis_Brown » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:15 pm

I know it is covered before, but who makes a 6 hole wood hub adapter to go to a 5 hole 5 1/2 inch pattern to fit Model A wheels? Any Idea what they are made of or what they cost and any pictures if you have them. I would like to know what they look like . Thanks

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Wheel adapters

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:23 am

They are listed in several of the catalogs, Lang's, Snyder's and maybe Chaffin's etc. Personally I am not impressed on any of the designs sold. None of them are made with the understanding on HOW the Model A wheel is mounted that I can see. The Model A wheel was designed for 3 points of contact, none of which are the lug bolt holes. In fact, the properly mounted A wheel, the lug bolt holes would not even come in contact with the hub/brake drum.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

steve plowman
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Plowman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 cut down tourer

Re: Wheel adapters

Post by steve plowman » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:45 am

Mark Gregush wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:23 am
They are listed in several of the catalogs, Lang's, Snyder's and maybe Chaffin's etc. Personally I am not impressed on any of the designs sold. None of them are made with the understanding on HOW the Model A wheel is mounted that I can see. The Model A wheel was designed for 3 points of contact, none of which are the lug bolt holes. In fact, the properly mounted A wheel, the lug bolt holes would not even come in contact with the hub/brake drum.
I have looked at various ways to fit 5 stud wire wheels to my 6 bolt wood wheel hubs but getting the wheel centre to rest on the hub nose is the bit that I haven't worked out successfully. I always come to the conclusion that it would be better to make new 6 lug wheel centres and lace them up to suitable rims, which seems like re-inventing the wheel like McLaren Wheels have done .. beyond my purse, but I would love a set. 8-)

I have also looked at just using a simple adapter plate and running Austin Seven (late model) 3 lug wheels which come in useful sizes for available vintage tyres here in the UK. Fine for a lightweight speedster but maybe not so good for a full bodied car.

[image]http://mclarenmfg.com/pics/mclarenwheels.jpg[/image]
Attachments
22FAEDBB-952A-450E-8A18-5DA809849397.jpeg
1926 T Touring cut down with tray back "The Gin Runner"
1926 TwinT straight 8 project
1928 Indian Chout
1940 Indian 640 Stroker

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic