Rustitus

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Michael Paul
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Paul
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 touring, 1909 touring
MTFCA Number: 31791

Rustitus

Post by Michael Paul » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:28 pm

Rustitus ( rust eye tus)

With much unscientific study, a disease has been identified afflicting many Americans.

The symptoms are:
Do you need to spend an hour sorting though antique car photos and old car parts piles on your phone just to find a photo of a family member?

Do you stop while driving in country to stare with a slow drool at an old car frame in a pasture?

Do you head for the shop with a plan to work on a project, only to find there's no room to even turn around?

An answer yes to any of these questions means you've got it. I'm sorry to say there is no cure other than building a bigger shop and buying more property to store things. If that's not possible, and you're stuck in a smaller location your only option will be to get rid of the wife or husband and kids to make more space. The dog can stay as long as he promises not to pee on anything valuable.

Don't worry it won't kill you, but it will certainly keep you in trouble.

Have a great day Mike

noelchico
First Name: Noel
Last Name: Chicoine
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 roadster, 1923 Touring, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 25420
MTFCI Number: 22686
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Rustitus

Post by noelchico » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:50 pm

Michael, as a board certified physician, I must object to the name you have erroneously given this serious affliction. I am further surprised when looking at your domiciliary address.
"Itis" is usually used in reference to an inflammatory condition, or where there is inflammation of a specific organ or system, such as "appendicitis" denoting an inflammation of the appendix, or "tonsillitis" denoting an inflammation of the tonsils. There is even an "arteritis" denoting inflammation of a single or a group of arteries. In contrast, I suspect your increasingly common affliction is "rustphilia", ie. an abnormal fondness or affection of or to rust. The word "philia" is derived from Greek "philia" or "fondness". Associated with this often age associated affliction is an aversion to new, shiny, or modern objects and philosophies. This is often denoted as a "phobia", as well as excessive time spent wishing for "the good old days". I suspect there is an epidemic of this disorder among the members of this forum. There is no known cure, and most will die with this disease, if not from it. :lol:

Topic author
Michael Paul

Post by Michael Paul » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:23 pm

I stand corrected, rustphilia may be more appropriate.

I might argue one might become inflamed with desire to own such a part or rusty pile......

Lol

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:54 pm

Am I correct in thinking that inflammation also involves/means "swelling" ?
Because my junk heap seems to show no signs of size reduction. Just more
swelling.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:33 pm

Burger, thats junkitis for sure! Ive got it, had it for years with no ill health effects. It does however bother the misses because she knows there is no cure. Junkitis and Rustphilia go hand in hand.

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:43 am

While Rustphilia in itself is a harmless affliction, it can develop into Junkitis which will attack the central nervous system, affecting ones sense of sound judgment, it will in the end lead to disconnection with society in general with exception from people with the same mental state :lol:
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

tmodeldriver
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Hester
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 touring, 27 touring, 22 TT
MTFCA Number: 26459
MTFCI Number: 20813
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by tmodeldriver » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:34 am

Rust is a lot like gold, except there's more of it.

A lady once told me that those Itis brothers are a bad bunch and Arthur is the worst.

Banjoe
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Lucas
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 50498

Post by Banjoe » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:45 am

Yup, definitely have it but very happy to hear that there is no cure.

Thanks for making my day.
None of us is as smart as all of us.

Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:05 am

Finally narrowed down my ills with all the different diagnosis’s! My affliction definitely swells and keeps my wallet on a diet. I now feel so much better, this has definitely made my day, week, year. Lol. Frank

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:13 am

Rustphillia can be a genetic thing or inherited. Sometimes it is passed on through contact with others that happily have the affliction. I have found it most enjoyable and being around others that have it is the best treatment to keep it in check.

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KeithG » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:08 am

Noel, re: itis... :D :D :D

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Bob McDaniel
First Name: Bob
Last Name: McDaniel
MTFCA Number: 28428
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Bob McDaniel » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:56 am

Does anyone else look at a pile of rusty junk and see what looks like a 100% restored car in the back of your mind? To me that part looks mint but to others it looks rusty and bent. Is this a sign of advanced stages or could it be another form of the same disease? Can this explain how I ended up with a barn full of rusty old beat up cars that all need lots of work but I think they are fine and drive them anyway? It all started when I was in my teens collecting rusty old beer cans when I found a pile of rusty old car parts in the woods. Life was never the same after that but it is hard to imagine what life was like before that time. I think memory loss is another sign because I don't remember things like what parts I have so I buy 5 of the same part like when I bought fenders for my 65 Mustang and ended up with 3 lefts and no rights so I bought 2 more and now have 4 lefts and 1 right. I know something is just not right about me but feel just fine so not looking for a cure. Maybe we should form a group and all get together and have meetings where we can trade rusty stuff and show off our latest treasures. For those closet "junkies" we could have private meetings kind of like AA only we could have food cooked on a car manifold and fix each others old cars for fun. I think this kind of thing could take off and pull in members from around the world all with the same problem. I don't think I am alone here. :D
Give an old car guy a barn and he won't throw anything away.

Topic author
Michael Paul

Post by Michael Paul » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:20 am

Bob, you're on to something, I've experienced the same multiple wrong fender issue!

I've always blamed it on Gremlins in my shop at night. It's worrisome now to think it might be me!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic