Building a T in 9 min. Fun Sunday morning video

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006
Board Member Since: 2017

Building a T in 9 min. Fun Sunday morning video

Post by AdminJeff » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:27 am

I randomly came across this video and it brought a smile while having my coffee:

https://youtu.be/Dxpzc97V5I4

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Building a T in 9 min. Fun Sunday morning video

Post by RajoRacer » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:14 pm

Quite common 30 - 40 years ago when we were all a bit younger. A lot of local T Clubs would compete against each other usually at the local swap-meets - used to be a lot of fun !

Topic author
AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by AdminJeff » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:20 pm

Interesting. I'd love to see the rules on that! Lots of ideas come to mind to get it done in even less time.

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:26 pm

Wish my '26 coupe could come alive this quickly, but again there are a number of guys involved, Nice vid, thanks,

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:36 pm

Yep, as I was told once, T's are clock work, you need to wind them up. :D

Harry Lillo
First Name: Harry
Last Name: Lillo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedsters, racers, depot hack, coupe
MTFCA Number: 13996

Post by Harry Lillo » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:49 pm

I have been privileged to have been on three different Model T quick build teams.
The last was the 2008 Centennial in Indiana.
The Canadian team from Calgary wanted to demonstrate to the world how to build a T with mitts and tougues.
It was hot in that 100 degree Indiana summer. Our Canadian Beer breaks slowed our time considerably.
I believe the car that we used for my first build at the 1995 National in Stettler Alberta came from the Spokane Club.
I wonder if they still have that take-apart car and might use it for the 2020 National Tour?

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:55 pm

Harry, if the car came from the Spokane club, it is likely the one I helped to put together at a national tour in Post Falls , Idaho in the late 90's/early 2000's.
There were three teams competing against the clock that day. To make our team of 6, we Aussies included one lady and a New Zealander, so we became the ANZAC team, Australian/New Zealand Assembly Corps! Early on our lady member recognised that much time could be saved by her delivering the parts to the men doing the assembly. We set a pretty quick time for the others to match, but the organisers decided that we had to have another go, rather than sit on that time. How does 1 minute 43 seconds sound, and that included fitting a set of wire wheels to the axles. We narrowly beat a team from California.
By the time that thing had been built 4 or 5 times, on our last attempt, we couldn't start it to drive it over the line because all the fuel had been used up in previous builds.

Allan from down under.

Harry Lillo
First Name: Harry
Last Name: Lillo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedsters, racers, depot hack, coupe
MTFCA Number: 13996

Post by Harry Lillo » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:04 pm

Allan, I believe we competed against you at Post Falls but made a pretty poor showing compared to you and others.
It is really amazing how the car comes together in competition. Hopefully it is still around.
In Richmond we purposely primed the engine while assembling, then everyone stood back at the end of assembly and Peter turned the key and got a free start.

Roverdriver
First Name: Dane
Last Name: Hawley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Nil

Post by Roverdriver » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:39 am

I was fortunate enough to be part of a team that did the 'quick T Build', at a motor show of historic vehicles, in the mid 1970's. We assembled, then disassembled ready for the next time, and did it every hour on the hour while the three day show was open,

Prior to, and as publicity for the show, we performed the assembly for television on a Melbourne (Aus) television show- the Don Lane show.

It was a tiring three days. The teams changed regularly, roping in whoever was available at the time, but I managed to be involved with every one of the builds.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic