Distributor Gears

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Plankhill
First Name: Brendan
Last Name: Doughty
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 16 , 21, 24, Touring , 24 Roadster, 26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 15143

Distributor Gears

Post by Plankhill » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:28 pm

Does anyone have a list of gears that go on the cam for different brands as far as: Diameter, No. of Teeth, Width etc. I am trying to find out which one has 16 teeth and is 1 3/8" dia. but would like to know the size of others also.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Distributor Gears

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:22 pm

Given that it's a fixed ratio of drive gear to driven gear, and the fact that there existed and still exists standard gear pitch and module values, I'm going to bet that the gears are going to be very similar regardless of mfg.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Plankhill
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 16 , 21, 24, Touring , 24 Roadster, 26 Speedster

Post by Plankhill » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:51 am

The there is a range of diameters and tooth counts. What I am trying to find out is what brand of the currently available replacements would fit the cam position.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:12 am

Maybe it would help to know what distributor you are working with. Given the major diameter of 1-3/8 I am guessing it is one that used the gear with the teeth set at angle (miter) and the vertical shaft in line with the cam shaft. I have a distributor with offset shaft, the major diameter is just under 1-1/2" with 12 teeth for the gear on the cam shaft, the gear on the vertical shaft has a smaller major diameter of just a smige over 1" has 12 teeth also so the ratio is still 1:1. Maybe that is an extreme case but all were 1:1 drive. Good chance if it is the miter type, a gear with same tooth count and diameter would match up. If that is the case you would still have to deal with center hole and spacing. Lang's and other catalogs list what is currently on the market.
Pictures?
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:34 pm

CCW or CW rotation too.

Hank

Topic author
Plankhill

Post by Plankhill » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:54 am

I have two unmarked front plate distributors. One is missing the cam gear. The what I am looking for is information on the sizes of available replacements such as Bosch, Atwater Kent, and Delco. Does anyone have dimensions on these?

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:45 am

Like Mark's post, the available repros are sold by Langs for the more popular old dist. models. You can call them and get the dimensions likely. Can't think there is any source of printed ref. material on actual size of gears, tooth counts, etc. as most of the old info sheets of parts lists only list the gears by item number and description as 'large' or 'small' gear :(

I have a couple of about NOS small gears,11 tooth and one 18 tooth. If they help you let me know, cheap as don't have any need of these. (shown below with Lang's cat. page)

IMG_0854.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Mark Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:59 am

First lets make sure we are on the same page. There are two basic groups of after market distributors; front plate that replace the timing cover or clip on that just attach to the Ford timing gear cover ether by bolts or the timer clip.
You say that you have two front plate distributors, unmarked and only one cam gear. Are they both the same or different? Do you have the front plates and distributor body or just the distributor body? I suggest photos if you are trying to id them. If they are just the distributor bodies, they may or may not be for Ford.
Then you go on to ask about Bosch, Atwater Kent and Delco. The Bosch, both front plate and clip on, you can buy new gears. The Atwater-Kent clip on, you can buy both the vertical shaft cast iron bodied and LA gears new. Up until a few years ago Lang's listed the cam gear new for the Delco.
Right now you are asking too broad of a question with way too many variables to give answers to. If you have some gears that you are trying to figure out what they go to, or? We could post that X brand gear is Y, but that is only part of it if you are looking for off the shelf gears. If you look at the photo in Dan's post, some gear sets have two different diameter of gears and as Hank said, depending on the gear placement could be CCW or CW teeth. I think maybe you need to narrow down the question and be more specific.

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:32 pm

Please post a picture of your distributor plates so we can try to determine what you are working with and trying to match up. Be aware that several of the clip on style distributors do not have the distributor shaft at a right angle to the cam centerline.

Topic author
Plankhill

Post by Plankhill » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:21 am

Here is what they look like.
20191116_094632.jpg
20191116_094619.jpg

Mark Gregush

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:08 pm

It looks to be a Thomas.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/11 ... 1263778450
At some point the area by the oil fill hole was built up so it could be used on early pre starter engine. If you need a second cam gear might have to have it made at least you would have a sample to start with. I don't know it the cam gear is the same for the clip/bolt on type but if it is could be a market for them.
google "mtfca; Thomas"

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic