The Henry Ford featured in St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

The Henry Ford featured in St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Post by DLodge » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:15 am

The Travel section of today's Sunday Post-Dispatch had a long feature article on the Henry Ford. Despite its distance from St. Louis, the article seems to suggest that an eight-hour drive or a one-hour flight is worth it. That's probably correct. (And yes, I put it here instead of Off-Topic because Model Ts are mentioned several times.)

https://www.stltoday.com/travel/travels ... a3.html#11

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Re: The Henry Ford featured in St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Post by DHort » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:45 am

That costumed character looks like the Krampus. Stay away!

George N Lake Ozark
First Name: George P
Last Name: Clipner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '26 Touring
MTFCI Number: 18665

Post by George N Lake Ozark » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:09 pm

Thanks for sharing the article Dick.

Loftfield
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:31 am

We visited the Henry Ford this summer. It is worth driving far more than eight hours. Over many years the staff has managed to turn an eclectic assortment of things that amused Henry into an excellent display of American ingenuity, invention, and industry. Of especial interest to the Model T folks is an exploded 1923 Model T, hung from the ceiling so you can see all the parts and how they fitted. Immediately next to the exploded T you can enter a "workshop" where you can participate in rebuilding a T (of course they un-rebuild it every night). I installed some firewall brackets on my visit. In Greenfield Village you can get a decent ride in a real Model T. We were driven in a 1914, and despite I own, and have owned, more than a few Model T's myself, it was still lots of fun. The only disappointment, and a big one, is that they no longer run any of the steam machinery. Apparently in the 1980's a docent was polishing brass on a steam engine while it was running (just how stupid was that!). His polishing rag got caught in the works, he was dragged in and killed horribly. Legal considerations caused them to discontinue the running of the steam equipment save for a railroad engine that takes you around the perimeter of Greenfield Village. I remember being fascinated by the operating steam equipment when visiting as a much younger person, likely helped get me into antique cars if truth be told. I strongly suspect that some thought and care could show the way to running the steam equipment again. For those who MUST see steam equipment running, a visit to the museum in Manchester, England, is a good option, but it takes more than eight hours of driving to get there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic