I'm Thankful

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

I'm Thankful

Post by Oldav8tor » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:37 pm

I probably shouldn't post this here as it is not Model T, but I wanted to share a milestone I passed today. Some may recall that back in January I broke my ankle rather badly in a tractor accident. A few months earlier I'd had knee surgery (same leg) which didn't help. As a result, it has been 16 months since I've been able to climb into my 1946 Aeronca Champion aircraft and fly it.... I was beginning to fear I never would. I tried getting in the way I always have but my legs just wouldn't bend enough. Today, after modifying the plane's door stop so the door would open wider and figuring out how to use a folding stool to back myself into the front cockpit, I flew it again. I stayed up until the sun went down.... it was glorious.

People in this forum and in the T clubs I belong to have been very supportive during my recovery for which I am grateful. Knowing how many of you have faced health issues, I thought you'd appreciate some positive news for once.

If you have something you are thankful for, please share it.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Setting up for landing as the Sun disappears in the west...
Setting up for landing as the Sun disappears in the west...
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

thom
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Coffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Touring

Re: I'm Thankful

Post by thom » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:56 pm

Good for you! Let's see more of the plane. :!:

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:57 pm

Looks like your livin the dream Tim! Way to come back. Where there is a will, there is a way!

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:01 pm

Congrats. That has to be good for your soul.
1924 Touring

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KeithG » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Hi Tim, That's wonderful!!! The worst is behind you, now be careful so you'll be in good shape for the 2020 T season!

Cheers,

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:24 pm

Tim, Glad to hear you are back at your "First" love. Now leave the ankle bitting tractor alone!

LOL

Hank

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:28 pm

I will say "Thank you for posting this here!" Personally, I think how our model T friends are doing heath-wise belongs in the general discussion. But that is me.
I very much recall the accident you had with the tractor. Since I was driving similar tractors on my grandfather's ranch when I was six, I was made very aware how dangerous those tractors are. Because of all that, your accident, at least for me, really hit home. I knew it would be a tough road back when it happened, and slower than desired or not, I am quite pleased to see you back to doing things you love.

Be well my friend!

Tmooreheadf
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Moorehead
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring, 25 Coupe,
MTFCA Number: 22348
MTFCI Number: 18916

Post by Tmooreheadf » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:55 am

Thankful, you bet!
On a recent tour in Townsend TN, in the Smokies, we had gone out the first afternoon on a kind of shake down for the start of the five days of touring. We drove for about 3 hours, car running good, following some really neat roads that followed the river. I did not see or feel anything that indicated an issue.
When we got back to the motel, a fellow model T'er mentioned some unusual wobble in the passenger side rear wheel. We jacked the car up for inspection and after removing the axle nut, when the wheel was removed, the last 4 inches of the axle came with it. I guess maybe the rockies were assisting in supporting the wheel assembly and did not alert me to the issue.
Three things come to mind. Checking the wheels by grabbing the the top of the wheel and aggressively pulling in and out does not always indicate an issue. Even removing the dust cover, axle nut and cotter key showed no issues in my pre tour inspection. Two, always take heed when someone alerts you to a potential issue. (Thanks Scott Porter) Third, we consider ourselves extremely lucky and thankful we got to the motel safe and sound without issue or accident. Someone was looking out for us!
This particular Ruckstell was rebuilt and installed by me some 12 years ago. When I got home and took it apart, both after market axles were worn .040" to .050" under the Hyatt bearings. This generated a "ridge" at the end of the axle, at the beginning of the taper, pretty much the exact point at which the axle broke. Hyatt bearings were good, sleeves were good and well greased. More wear than what I would have anticipated under original style felt seals was present.
Additionally I need to thank everyone who participated in the loading of the car onto the trailer. This is a simple task when the car has all 4 wheels. Not so much when one has fallen off. (The Tennessee T's and their guest really rock). I think we used every jack, winch, lumber, chain and ideas anyone could come up with.
I might be looking for one of those bolt on false axles, of which I hope never to have to use!
Tom

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:30 am

Tim....I'd like to relate a funny thing related to you that happened when the new version of the forum came into being earlier this year. Keep in mind that I don't know you personally so this was based on exactly nothing...except my poor eyesight.

I was looking at all the new people signing on to the new forum that week and, when I first glanced at your username, I read it as "Old Bloviator". Anyway...I thought, wow...that guy really is self-depricating!

Again...not based on anything except my 50 year old eyes, which now need cheater glasses for the first time ever. :D And, now of course, I still read it as such, even though I know it's not correct. And, it still makes me chuckle every time.
1924 Touring

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:21 pm

Gratitude, and the self-awareness to always be focused on things to be grateful for,
is the key to being happy. I learned this lesson in a very backwards way from my old
man, who was a very unhappy person. Although I do not think he ever intended for me
to have such a takeaway, I open the door in the morning and relish the smells in the air,
the sun on my face, the briskness of snowy times and the warmth of the woodstove ....
little things that most people just don't seem to get much from.

A couple weeks ago I had an engine go south in my work truck. I found myself feeling
grateful that I have a shop to do the rebuild, the knowledge and tools, and that woodstove
to make it nice and cozy. I remember having to do work like this out in the rain and mud !
And I am grateful that I took the time to put up all that firewood, that I bought a super-
expensive engine crane when I was making $5-an-hour that works just as good today as it
did in 1977, .... so many things.

We all have so much to be grateful for. I always wanted a TT flatbed. I am grateful to
have one. I am grateful to have the means to have bought it, and I feel an overwhelming
gratitude every time I walk out into the shop and see it sitting there amongst all the other
steam era "junk". I am SO grateful to have been so blessed with a life surrounded by such
beauty and wonderfulness. From the sun on my face to the active awareness of all the
"little things" that bring such joy.

Thanks for bringing it up.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:29 pm

Gosh, Tim. I didn't know that you were just out of knee surgery when you got bitten by the tractor. Did the tractor bite interrupt your physical therapy for the knee ? There's no "good" time for an injury, but one trauma piled on top of another makes things a lot worse.

Nevertheless, I'm glad to see you're getting back in the saddle. And hopefully you can continue to restore some more leg flexibility.

Angmar
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Bailey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 50335
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Angmar » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:09 pm

Congratulations, must feel fantastic to be up in the air again.
Still crankin old iron

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:38 pm

I went on a tour last Saturday with the Escondido club. We were about five miles along the road when there was a Big Bang followed by a slight tire “cherp”. Naturally I stopped and looked under the T, nothing looked amiss but I had lost all drive....
One friend took me to pick up my trailer and another stayed with the T.
Got it home, pulled the axle and Found a broken drive shaft. I think the pinion bearing broke up and jammed the ring and pinion gears. The resulting jam broke the driveshaft and the key at the wheel.
I can fix everything so that’s no problem.
I must admit that I’m thankful for the great friends who helped, those who have offered parts and those who have offered help.
Thanks guys.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:20 pm

Just another guy here that's more than Extra Thankful this season. Some of you may remember one of my earlier posts when I warned about the danger of airing up our Clincher tires.

I'm extremely thankful this year that I wasn't injured or Killed when a clincher tire on a demountable rim that I had just mounted a new tire and tube somehow exploded blowing off the tire and tube sending the Rim up into the air and landing about 18 feet away coming back on the ground!
Had I been anywhere in its path or leaning over checking it out I'd be still recovering or buried by now! Make sure those clincher tires are secured on the wheel before airing them up!

Extra Thankful This Year!!
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Topic author
Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:57 pm

A few replies - to all, thanks for your nice comments about my return to the sky and kind thoughts during my recovery.
Rusty.... Old Bloviator - gave me quite a chuckle.... It is probably a more accurate description---especially if you ask my wife.
Otrcman.... I had the knee surgery on Halloween and had finished PT. The knee had just gotten to the point that I was waiting for a nice day to try climbing into the plane and flying. The old way I used to get in required that I kneel on the edge of the door on that knee while I pulled myself up and worked my legs and feet in (kinda like a jungle gym). I had healed enough that I thought I could do it. Surprise! Life is what happens when you're making other plans.....
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic