battery cable connection

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
davidheavner
First Name: David
Last Name: Heavner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 ruabout
MTFCA Number: 31779

battery cable connection

Post by davidheavner » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:54 pm

Since the weather turned colder, I was having trouble connecting my cable to the battery. The terminal was too big for the post. No matter how much I tightened, it was not tight enough to turn the starter motor. I knew I needed something to tighten the cable against the post. I went to the parts store and low and behold there is such a part. It is a battery post shim sold in pairs. I bought a set, put it on the offending post and right away the T started like it always did. I am a happy camper. If anyone else has had this problem, here is the solution.

Alan
First Name: Alan
Last Name: Pfau
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo, 1915 Touring, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 32514

Re: battery cable connection

Post by Alan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:10 pm

Thanks for that tip David. Ive never heard of them before but sure could have used them over the years. I'll have to pick some up to have on hand. Good find.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:21 pm

That's better than a beer can !! 8-)

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:37 pm

What's the fun in that if you can't drink the beer !!!

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:19 am

Do you have it set up negative ground?

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Post by ironhorse » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:38 am

You mean like this Napa sells them in pkgs of ~25 for about a buck apiece.
batp.jpg
batp.jpg (15.8 KiB) Viewed 6519 times
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

tmodeldriver
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Hester
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 touring, 27 touring, 22 TT
MTFCA Number: 26459
MTFCI Number: 20813
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by tmodeldriver » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:00 am

For a quick fix you can drive a nail or a screw between the terminal and the post. Wouldn't recommend it for the long haul.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115

Post by DanTreace » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:02 am

Only time the cable terminal was too big for install.....was fault of mine :)

On the 6V storage battery, the positive terminal is always a larger diameter than the negative terminal. For a good reason :oops:
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Altair
Last Name: Menzies
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring and 1915 Touring both Canadian models
MTFCA Number: 27825
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Altair » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:18 am

A good friend of mine, not too conversant with batteries though, installed his battery in backwards and had to pound the neg battery cable on to the positive terminal with a hammer and didn't notice any thing was wrong. When he started the car, it started fine, but the generator was charging backwards and that was the first thing he had noticed that he thought something was wrong. I was working in a firehall at the time with 18 other guys that had a reasonable understanding of cars and this member couldn't wait to tell his story. The uproar of laughter was overwhelming. That was over 40 years ago and I have never forgotten it.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:21 am

I haven't tried this, but seems to me that it would work. Remove the bolt from the end of the battery connector and run a two sided file between the two slides. Take a few thousandths off and replace the bolt and tighten. It shouldn't take too much if it works in warm weather and then is too loose when cold.
Norm

HaroldRJr
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by HaroldRJr » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:02 pm

......something about this thread reminds me of the "quote" I put in my forum profile:

"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary "fix" that WORKS!"

Topic author
davidheavner

Post by davidheavner » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:07 pm

Adam, when I bought the car, the battery was set up with a positive ground. No problems except for the difference in post diameter. G.R., the shims I bought was something like the picture you posted. Mine was a pair for about $3.00. I went to four stores before I found what I was looking for. Two stores were out and the NAPA store never heard of battery post shims. I am glad you found that NAPA carries them. O'Reilly's had the part which were more expensive than the NAPA part.

Topic author
davidheavner

Post by davidheavner » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:09 pm

Herald, I like your quote.

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:36 pm

Gentlemen,

Please remember the battery post AND the connectors are LEAD. They bend very easily. If you face a situation where the bolt will not tighten the connector enough, remove the bolt, place an adjustable wrench on the widest portion of the connector to prevent it from spreading during the next step. Very carefully bend the ears outward without spreading the large center of the connector. I use a wedge/shim to start and then a screwdriver to get proper width between the ears for the bolt to clamp. The ears are often bent inward due to over tightening of the bolt to clamp the connector onto the post. Bending them back out to where they belong, often will correct the problem. If the connector is old, this will be a temporary fix and the connector should be replaced.

I have even taken a 1/4" +/-, placed it between the ears after I have bent them outwards, and tapped the large portion of the connector, with a hammer, to "squash" it just a little. This will make the "hole" a little oval and provide the ears with a little more clamping pressure.

I have found a little dielectric grease or electrically conductive contact compound will keep battery corrosion at a minimum. I have used the terminal post washers soaked with the red stuff. They work to a point but I'm not completely happy with them.

The above "fixes" will definitely be of help when you're on the road and need a quick repair. Remember to keep them clean. Even a thin film of "wet" battery scum will cause problems. BTDT!

Good Luck,
Terry

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115

Post by DanTreace » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:45 pm

David

Now time for me to eat some crow :oops:

Just today decided to replace the battery in Lizzie, it being 5 years old and wasn't responding to multiple re-charges well.

So the old negative cable was tried, had placed on the Ford way back in '86. And the contact inside the frame at the bracket was rusted and didn't seem good, so opted to go the route of placing a new negative woven cable on the outside of the frame. Made sure to have shiny frame area for contact, and mounted the new woven cable from the favorite T parts supplier!

All fastened down now and ready for check and then start the T.
IMG_0031.JPG
If you look now that negative terminal is squeezed so tight and even bent.....and the terminal was still loose! :o
Could lift it right off and there was no more travel to the bolt and nut. Seems the new negative woven cables must be metric or China measure......too big just like your problem!

So, took the cable to the bench vise, and filed the lead surfaces from both side of the open lugs of that terminal.

IMG_0032.JPG
Now! The terminal is tight, as the filed off surface allows the clamp to travel enough to pinch on the battery post as it should :)

So learned a NEW one today......watch out for woven negative cables with over sized terminals :|
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:41 am

I would use the original layered ground strap. I think they were originally zinc plated. The Model A's used the same thing, but because an A has a positive ground, you would need those shims to make it work. Some of the newer cables have a P and a N on top meaning you can use them for either size cable. A long time ago I found a NOS ground strap at Hershey, and went to use it on my '25 and found it to be a Model A. I later found an original Model T ground strap, which is on the car now. Langs sells the layered ground straps, but they are copper, so to be original, you would have to get it plated. If you want to go all out, use a battery box!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic