Hood shelf clip replacement help needed.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Hood shelf clip replacement help needed.

Post by Sarikatime » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:08 pm

I bought new hood shelves and hood handles but having an impossible time replacing the hood hold down handle next to the starter. Is there a method to installing that hood handle which obviously I am not aware of? It is a wood hood shelf for a brass model that I installed a starter on. Any and all help greatly appreciated. Frank

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Re: Hood shelf clip replacement help needed.

Post by Original Smith » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:13 pm

How are we supposed to know what you are talking about when you don't give the year of your car??

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:57 pm

Frank

generally speaking, the hood hood hold down latches can be fit to the shelf first. With proper small washers and cotter pins suitably curled back and trimmed, they will fit down through the frame and you can then simply bolt the shelves to the frame with the two long carriage bolts.

Photo courtesey of Tom Benjay:
Attachments
hood latch washers.jpg
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:02 pm

Is it a TT? They have their own longer clips.

HPetrino
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:03 pm

oops. You did say "brass". Sorry.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:47 pm

Going through the same ordeal Frank - no room to hold all the pieces together & insert a cotter pin - flippin starter's in the way unless you are a Rubber Band Man ! I'm going to try the suggestion of a small O.D. washer & fold the cotter pin around the hood holder so it will go through the frame hole (possibly enlarged a tad !).

rondupree
First Name: Ronald
Last Name: Dupree
MTFCA Number: 22940
MTFCI Number: 15830

Post by rondupree » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:16 pm

Go to the hardware store and look for some metric flat washers that will just go over the end of the hook. Install the spring and hook as an assembly on the block. Be sure that the cotter pin does not extend past the od of the washer. You should now be able to install the hold down and block as a unit.
Ron Dupree

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:48 pm

He would need to drill considerably larger holes in the frame to try a couple of the suggestions above. Not necessarily a good idea. The best idea short of keeping the car "no starter" would be to install the fenders and hood clips before installing the starter. The brass era cars without a starter are tough enough to install those clips as per original design. Once the starter is in the way, the best thing may be to go through all the trouble to remove the starter (don't forget to remove the Bendix first!), install the hood clips, and then reinstall the starter. A royal pain in the ?? I know. But it may be the easiest way, short of drilling four 3/8 inch holes in the top of the frame.

Walter Higgins
First Name: Walter
Last Name: Higgins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Open Runabout
MTFCA Number: 396
MTFCI Number: 153

Post by Walter Higgins » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:08 pm

You make a spacer tool like so with a slot that stands on the inside of the frame rail. Cram the tool in place with the spring and washer on top, drop the clip through, align hole in clip with the slot in the tool, install the cotter pin, and remove.
Attachments
20191204_210534.jpg

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:44 pm

Wayne, if what you say is true, then my appologies to the OP. It's been years since I had a brass car down to that extent and my only history with this area recently is on the '23 I'm putting back together.

Frank, Sorry for promoting bad info if that is the case.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:12 am

My apologies Scott C, I hadn't noticed the name on the posts. The brass era Ts had both hood latches go through the frame rail, whereas the black era Ts had only the front hood latch went through the frame. The rear mounted outboard on a piece of wood which was bolted along with the hood shelf back end along with the wood piece and held the rear hood latch outside the frame rail. That makes it much easier to fight the latch hook and spring into place. I am not actually sure about the '26/'27 improved Ts, never worked on any very much. However, all the other black era Ts had the front hood latch go through frame rail. At least up there, they weren't quite as difficult to work with that nasty cotter pin and spring (and yes a tool like Walter H shows can help quite a bit for the front one!). I don't recall what year it was, but at some point around 1923, I understand that Ford did put a larger hole in the frame for the front hood latch. On those cars, the hood latches can be easily installed onto the hood shelf. For the brass era cars one could drill larger holes in the frame for the springs to go through. I tend to be uncomfortable with drilling many unnecessary holes in model T frames. But that is an option that maybe should be considered.

rondupree
First Name: Ronald
Last Name: Dupree
MTFCA Number: 22940
MTFCI Number: 15830

Post by rondupree » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:22 am

The metric washers are not much larger than the od of the springs and are about the same size as the Ford washers. They should not require drilling larger holes in the frame.
Ron Dupree

Walter Higgins

Post by Walter Higgins » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:50 am

You cannot just use a smaller washer because the spring itself is not intended to pass through the frame. Drilling the frame for topside installation of the assembly is not a good idea because then the clip spring is then pulling against the thin wood shelf on ends that are unsupported.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:57 am

Step 10, Figure 9 of the Ford service manual shows a mechanic removing the hood shelves from the frame with the hood clips and springs still attached to the shelves.

Step 133, Figure 112 of the Ford service manual shows a mechanic installing the hood shelves onto the frame with the hood clips and springs already attached to the shelves.

What has changed since then to make this impossible? Incorrectly dimensioned reproduction parts?
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:59 am

Although I have never tried to install a hood shelf clip on an early brass car with a starter, this is how I do it on the cars I have. I use an adjustable valve spring lifter tool and set it to a narrow position, then put on the spring and washer and compress the spring with the tool and insert the cotter pin. Another possibility would be to compress the spring before installing it and use a strong piece of string to hold the spring in it's compressed position, then install the spring and washer and cotter pin and after all is in place, cut the string.
Norm

Walter Higgins

Post by Walter Higgins » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:27 pm

CudaMan wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:57 am
Step 10, Figure 9 of the Ford service manual shows a mechanic removing the hood shelves from the frame with the hood clips and springs still attached to the shelves.

Step 133, Figure 112 of the Ford service manual shows a mechanic installing the hood shelves onto the frame with the hood clips and springs already attached to the shelves.

What has changed since then to make this impossible? Incorrectly dimensioned reproduction parts?

Nothing has changed since then, it is what was different before. Like the o.p. stated, it is on a brass era T. What you've referenced in the service manual is for a later black era car. The hole in the frame through which the hood clip passes in earlier cars with wood shelves is only just big enough for the the stem and is supposed to be that way.

Henry K. Lee
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479

Post by Henry K. Lee » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:29 pm

Really Frank!

Invite those Grand Children over with small fingers!

LOL!

Hank

RajoRacer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer

Post by RajoRacer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:35 pm

It's not just a case of having little fingers - they need to be about 8" long to boot !

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:01 pm

Thanks for the clarification Walter, I didn't realize that the frame holes on the early cars was smaller. The larger holes must have been added later based on input from the assemblers who were having just as much trouble as we do today. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Walter Higgins

Post by Walter Higgins » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:42 pm

I think that's very much the case. Being able to make an assembly on the bench and slap it on is much more appealing having to futz with everything on car. I'm guessing the addition of a starter was not a factor in the equation since having one still makes installing the rear bolt on that side a problem.

Topic author
Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:21 pm

Walter, you are right about the top outside bolt a problem on the starter. I solved that by helicoiling the starter casing and installing the bolt in reverse from the hogshead forward.
As far as the hood clip, I like the idea of drilling the one hole in the frame next to the starter larger and installing the hood clip on the wood hood shelf and install the whole thing all together. Lot of great ideas guys, thank you. Frank

Walter Higgins

Post by Walter Higgins » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:31 pm

Over time that's not going to do your hood shelf any favors. It is unsupported beyond the shelf bolt and it going to be yanking the end of the shelf up against your hood former.

As to the bolt on the rear, I wasn't talking about a starter mounting bolt but rather the starter being in the way of the rear bolt holding on the shelf. The starter is just as much in the way of the shelf mounting bolt as it is the hood clip itself to say nothing of having to work around the column, if you already have that installed, too.

RajoRacer

Post by RajoRacer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:11 pm

I enlarged the rear shelf frame hole to 7/16" for the washer to clear and my hood shelf (1914) bolts go through both the upper & lower frame sections so no issues with those.

On flat firewall cars with an electric starter installed, one needs to remove the upright firewall bracket and notch the firewall to gain access to the top right starter screw/bolt to either remove or install - removing that bracket with the starter in is kind of a bugger !!!

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:31 pm

Making the whole exercise more difficult is the strength of the reproduction springs offered. I have found them way too strong to comfortably compress at times. I use springs selected from a parts house offering. These are also much easier on aluminium hoods on early cars.

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic