Pay Pal sellers beware

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
FATMAN
First Name: ROBERT
Last Name: BERGSTADT
MTFCA Number: 1575

Pay Pal sellers beware

Post by FATMAN » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:36 am

I sell a lot using pay pal either through the shop or forum but mostly e bay
I always refund excess postage to be fair, I just did a refund on excess postage and got shocked, they charge for the transaction and always gave their percentage back on refunds, not now, they said on the phone that October they stopped giving back fees this sucks. When selling a large item there is no way to figure correct postage because you do not know if its going to your state or 2k mile away, also e bay is starting to charge sales tax to most of out of states, just my 2 cents worth, Bob

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Re: Pay Pal sellers beware

Post by Dropacent » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:43 am

Yes, and yes and both a bunch of BS, Bob. This is why I try to find buyers here first. I usually get more money on eBay, but it’s not all about money.

Sparknwire
First Name: RJ
Last Name: Lucyszyn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Speedster

Post by Sparknwire » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:19 pm

Didn’t you get that notice in Sept on eBay charging sales tax or internet tax on all purchases and PayPal also does that on invoices and no refunds on charges That’s why I stopped selling on EBay last August

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:43 pm

The sales taxes that are being collected are for each state where a buyer lives. The states have passed laws that mandate the tax collection. It's not eBay, amazon, or any of them that are doing this for themselves.

States are getting greedy for every tax dollar they can find. Their rationale is: The buyer would have made the purchase IN STATE if the item had not been offered by an out of state seller. Therefore, we're entitled to state taxes on each item. Just another way to keep the poor, poor and make the government more money.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:13 pm

Bob, I know I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier. I'm a bit confused, if you're referring to P.P. not returning a fee, just as an FYI, I always pay, and advise buyers the same, to use the "Friends and Family" link, whereby there are no fees involved. I too refund excess postage, once I even did a mere 50 cents, but it's the principal of the thing. I paid no fee, 'cause I used this method. Hope
this helps. I don't deal much with e-bay, so can't chime in on that.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:25 pm

Tim,

If you are a business the rules are different. Anything to make a buck!

Hank

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic