wrist pin bushing

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

wrist pin bushing

Post by tdump » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:19 pm

I want to replace some wrist pin bushings in the cast pistons of a 26 engine.I just bought the bushings on Ebay for 20 bucks free shipping. I am reading about a reamer is not good and honing to fit is best. Is this done with a brake cylinder hone or what?
thanks for your help
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Re: wrist pin bushing

Post by Dan Hatch » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:27 pm

Sunnen hone made to do the job. Look it up on google. Dan

Topic author
tdump
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.

Post by tdump » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:52 pm

Alot of stuff comes up on a search,any details as to a model or size or type?
I guess something like this except the correct size?
https://www.radwell.com/Shop?source=Goo ... gJI0vD_BwE

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:00 pm

Mack.
First make sure you have the right bushing, there are 2 sizes of OD for cast iron pistons that Ford used and chances of others for after market pistons or repairs over the life of an engine.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:08 pm

Yea these are the .87 I think it is.

Dan Hatch

Post by Dan Hatch » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:06 am

Here is one on eBay with lots of tooling.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunnen-Hone-Ho ... 2653600475

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:43 am

Youwsers! A bit more than I can spend for 4 pistons! :D

Dan Hatch

Post by Dan Hatch » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:50 am

Any good auto machine shop should have one. They can do the job for you.
By the way, I use mine all the time. Very good piece of equipment.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:11 am

There is a local shop that builds mostly racing related engines.I will check with them.Thanks for the help!

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:51 am

If you can’t find someone locally, I can do it for $20. Of course, there would be shipping each way to consider.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:17 pm

Thanks! I might take you up on that,thanks for the offer.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:39 pm

Well sometimes I get a bit discouraged but I have to keep trying.1 of the pistons for this engine got broke falling off a shelf last year.So I knew I had to scare up 1. I had a bunch.So I thought.Well,1 was broke here and 1 was broke there.But I found 4. Knocked all the bushings out and have been trying to clean them half the day today.That heavy carbon on the underside is hard to get out.
Heat it with a torch and burn it out seems to work. Bushings came today. Well 1 piston nice and clean,No problem pressing in the bushings. I first took them over to the bench grinder and gave them a tiny edge,about a 1/32,just barely could see it.Then I put them in the freezer. Got them good and cold, put luber plate on the inside of the piston and used the vise and a socket. I was admiring my first nice piston with new bushings and then, 1 of my dizzy spells happened,and the piston hit the floor and broke a little section between the 2 top rings! :cry: Well, I sulked a bit and fiqured well I got more.SO I knocked those bushings right back out and put them in the freezer. That is when I discovered 2 of the other pistons I had scrounged up were of the larger bushing type! :roll: Well It dawned on me I had another stash!.So I crawled in the junk pile to a big metal truck mounted tool box and sure enough,4 more pistons of the same bushing size as I needed.So they are soaking in the varsol. In the meantime I did 1 more piston as far as bushings.Got them in,no problem.I held that piston with both hands until I set it down! ;)

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:38 pm

Adam,I appreciate the offer of help on this project.
But being I like trying things,I figured I would give this all a try/. If I succeed,I can say " I did that" Or if I fail,no one to blame but me.After installing the bushings in the other 3 pistons I put them aside for a while and did something else.
After a break, I went back at it.
So I got the Timesaver out I have had for years in the cabinet. I got the 1/2 inch brake cylinder hone and such out of the tool box.
I determined there was wear on the wrist pins.Darn,I woulda thought brass would wear out before steel. So I worked on the wrist pins and got 4 cleaned up a bit.To remove the high spots I used emery paper with valve lapping compound and then went to time saver and oil on some more emery paper. seems to cut down the metal faster than just emery paper alone.
I then went thru the pins and tried each 1 into each piston till I found 1 that would sorda start. I kept those together and went thru the other 3.
I honed each side until both ends of the wrist pin would go in.then I would rub the high spots off the wrist pins using a magic marker to indicate first until the neighbor showed up and loaned me his can of dykem.
Once I got the wrist pin going thru the 2 bushings I then got to thinking about this pin needs to be straight and free to turn. What could I use to do the final fit? HUM ,the wrist pin it's self with oil and timesaver on it.HUm,how to turn the wrist pin? I remembered trying to use a boiler tube brush to clean out the wrist pins and it was a very tight fit. So I stuck the brush in the cordless drill, oiled the wrist pin,put Timer saver course in both bushings and started in, after a short time I added more time saver,then went to the fine grade,and it spun and went back and forth just fine.
I cleaned everything up,put oil on the wrist pin and if you hold the piston sideways, the pins falls out easy,pushes back and forth inside easy and spins easy inside the bushings. No up and down slop like they had before bushing replacement.
I think being inline is the most important aspect of the thing and I think using the wrist pin and yellow Ajax as I call it,made sure of it being inline.
I know,this is a job for professionals,with fine tools and years of experiance.But I am 1 that likes to try to do things myself,and with the holidays coming on,I needed to be doing something to focus on as this is not the best time of year for me.
IF the job fails,no one to blame but me.If the job works, well I can proudly say I did it.
Either way,I learned alot, if my time becomes worth more than a nickle a hour,mail the (((( things to Adam! :)
Attachments
DSC00177.JPG
DSC00176.JPG
DSC00174.JPG
DSC00172.JPG
DSC00171.JPG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic