Need some guidance with coils and electrical readings

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Darren J Wallace
First Name: Darren
Last Name: Wallace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Canadian Touring 1905 Queen model B
Board Member Since: 2005

Need some guidance with coils and electrical readings

Post by Darren J Wallace » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:46 pm

I'm rebuilding some 1912 Heinze coils and am using the new primary and secondary windings you can buy from the vendors. I had a new winding left over from an old batch I bought and put together a coil. I potted one coil before checking it (my stupid mistake) and of course, it didn't work at all. I did check the secondary before I took it apart and I was getting SAME reading as my photo with the new secondary shows. My Fun Projects "beep checker" barely makes any sound checking these new windings.

The other photo shows a coil I rebuilt a few years ago and my Fun Projects beeper screams when you test it, and I get a reading on the secondary more in line to Ron's schematic.

I just got a new batch of primaries and secondaries and to my confusion, I do not get a reading on the secondary that conforms with a schematic I got from Ron Patterson years ago. So before I proceed, can anyone tell me if these secondaries are any good from and electrical standpoint?

Also, none of the primaries I bought had iron cores in them, and I don't see that part listed anywhere separate. I wonder why?

I've rebuilt hundreds of "normal" coils and although I am not an electrician, I understand them "enough' to know how they work and rebuild them, but when it comes to some of the electrical complex details, that's where I get lost.

Thanking all you coils experts in advance for steering me in the right direction! :)
Attachments
IMG_6123.JPG
IMG_6124.JPG
1913 Canadian Touring & 1905 Queen, both cars are 4 generation family owned cars

Topic author
Darren J Wallace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Canadian Touring 1905 Queen model B

Re: Need some guidance with coils and electrical readings

Post by Darren J Wallace » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:52 pm

I would also like to add that I'm only rebuilding these Heinze coils and their respective original wood box just for a fun project. Whether I actually use it or not on my car is up in the air. I like the challenge, and I want to have a "era correct" coil box for the car. I'm currently running a KW reproduction wood box I put together earlier in the year.
1913 Canadian Touring & 1905 Queen, both cars are 4 generation family owned cars

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:59 am

While you have had some views, you are not getting to the people that can help. Click on the pencil and add "1912 Heinze coils" to your title at the front of it.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Post by R.V.Anderson » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:35 am

I would guess that your potted coil isn't working because you are getting arcing between the new primary and secondary windings. You need to insulate them from each other to prevent this. Wrapping the primary in good quality electrical tape should take care of that. Try connecting your windings as you have them in your photo, either in the opened-up case or outside it, in series with a known good coil and connected to a power source, then watch (and listen) for arcing.

Topic author
Darren J Wallace

Post by Darren J Wallace » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:06 pm

Thanks everyone for your help! I have a coil working, and I think RV nailed it! :) It seems to have the least amount of double sparks at 1.0 amps.
Please comment if you see anything I'm doing wrong so far. I've built many regular coils but this is a first time for me doing a Heinze. It's not potted yet and set up crudely just to test. The holes and such are to let the tar flow through when I'm ready. I also used the original iron core rods so my photos are a bit out of order and a process....

Here's a YouTube link below to see this coil in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9ZIT9V ... e=youtu.be
Attachments
IMG_6129.JPG
IMG_6128.JPG
IMG_6127.JPG
IMG_6126.JPG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic